cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Feeling alone and really depressed

Hey this is my first post in a while but Ive been feeling alone and really depressed the last month or two I’ve been worried about things I probably shouldn’t be worried about, I’ve told one of my close friend that I think I’m suffering depression and have had suicidal thoughts and she has been really helpful. 

Im scared to bring it up to my family because i was brought like men don’t talk about their own feelings and problems. Can someone help me to open up more because the things I worry about can disturbe my sleep and I don’t feel like going to work the next day and was wondering if anyone has any advice on getting your mind of some things and being happy again please and thank you 

Re: Feeling alone and really depressed

Hey @ad4m, I’m sorry that you’re feeling so much pain at the moment.

I can relate to so much of your post. I too often worry about tiny little things that really are inconsequential, and it can really burn you out very quickly.

I’m just wondering, are you seeing a professional regarding these issues, such as a counsellor? We are here to listen and help on RO, but I wonder if it would help to be able to speak to someone one-on-one about these issues.

In particular, do you have any strategies about dealing with the suicidal thoughts you mentioned? I’m just wondering how you keep yourself safe? Again, a counsellor would be able to help you and give you some great support with these thoughts.

Also, have you tried mindfulness? This is a great way of making sure you are really focussing on the present. RO has a fact sheet about it here. Personally, I have found it to be very helpful when I’m worrying about things that I’m not in control of.

Please keep us updated with how you’re travelling. Heart

Highlighted

@ad4m Thanks heaps for sharing what you're going through. It really can make us feel rubbish sitting with depression, and especially the darkness of suicidal thoughts. Well done on opening up to a friend, I am so glad to hear she has been helpful.

As for the "men don't talk" family scenario, you're not alone on this one. Have you heard of Mensline? They're a decent service. Free telephone counselling, and are specifically trained around this issue. They know a lot about toxic masculinity as well as the stigma surrounding the painful emotions men experience. If you ever want to give them a call their number is 1300 78 99 78 and they are open 24/7 Smiley Happy 

You mentioned "I’ve been worried about things I probably shouldn’t be worried about" is it anything you'd be up for sharing on here? Why do you feel you shouldn't be worrying about certain things? 

Highlighted

Hey @ad4m, thanks for posting about this. I hope the forums are able to offer you some support!

In terms of finding it difficult to get to sleep, one technique I try to use when I'm experiencing something similar is breathing exercises. Have you ever tried the Smiling Mind app?

That one can be quite helpful. Smiley Happy

I'm also wondering if you've ever spoken to a mental health professional about your worries/depression? If not, is that something you'd consider?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

// Spiral outward, keep going. //
Highlighted

Hey @mrmusic I’m not seeing any professional help at the moment. I’ve seen a quote that’s helped me not go through with suicide it is “ suicide doesn’t stop the pain it only moves it to somebody else” and I’ve found that to be true because I’ve had people in my family that have committed and I’ve seen the heart break first had and couldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I’ve also been working out more than I used to but it works for a short amount of time then some darker thoughts creep back
Highlighted

Hey @Bree-RO thanks for the number I’ll have to give them a ring. The things I’m worried about like my future I’m an apprentice builder and I’m worried that I’m not going to be able to go out and work for myself and I also want to be able to go overseas and work. I’m also worried about my best friend she has a boyfriend right they’ve been together for a while and a few weeks ago her boyfriend and I went for a drive and we were talking and he said that he’s going to end the relationship eventually and I know she will be so upset and I can’t stand seeing her upset because I’ve known her for years and she’s had a rough life but she’s finally happy but I’m worried that when he ends it she’s going to be so upset. I’m also worried that I’m not going to have another relationship because I’m shy and I’ll be honest not the best looking bloke out there and yeah I know a bloke my age shouldn’t be worried about finding a relationship and stuff but it’s something that’s always in the back of my mind
Highlighted

Hey @letitgo thanks for the sleeping tip.
I’ve never seen professional help but it is something I’ve been thinking about doing but I just don’t know where to find anyone that can help that doesn’t know my family because I’m worried that they will tell my family