cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TW: suicide

hey 

i have been having trouble lately trying to deal with my brother commiting suicide at the age of 19 i want to know what is a normal reaction to a suicide and way to cope with life

Re: suicide

hi @depressiongirl and welcome
im really sorry to hear about your brother. Someone dying no matter how it happens can be really tough and everyone grieves in their own way. there isnt really a 'normal' way to react.
I would really reccomend and suggest that you allow yourself to get some help such as speaking to friends, family, your gp and a psychologist for support. If speaking to someone in real life is hard, Kidshelpline and Headspace are great services for young people with whom you can talk online with a qualified counsellor.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Hey there @depressiongirl  - big welcome to the RO forums.

Thank you for sharing this with us - suicide is devastating and I am so sorry to hear that your brother suicided. 

I can't imagine what you're going through. The process and experience of grief is different for each and every person, and however you are feeling is ok. 
There is no normal reaction to suicide - but feeling anything from being lost, hopeless, alone, angry, sad, numb, confused.. are all really common ways to feel. 

We have an article on how to cope with the suicide of a loved one that may help you if you want to check it out. 

Do you have any people supporting you through this? It's super important to get extra support right now. This is not easy for anyone. getting a bit of professional support - such as those suggested here - can be a big help. 

I'm also wondering how you're coping? What are you doing to cope day to day at the moment? 

We are here to listen if you want to share how you're going. Heart

Hi @depressiongirl! Welcome to the forums! I think you're brave to share your story with us.

I'm so sorry about the tragic suicide of your brother. My heart goes out to you and your family. I just want to let you know that you can always find support from the ReachOut community during this difficult time, whenever you feel as though you need it. Many of our members have gone through experiences of loss and grief themselves and might be able to provide a listening ear.

What are some of the feelings and thoughts going through your mind? It's normal to go through a range of emotions when we lose someone we love. Grief can be really complex. Some suggestions may be more helpful for addressing particular aspects of loss and grief.

I echo the other suggestions in this thread to seek support from people you trust. Depending on where you live, you might also be able to find some support groups for people who have lost a loved one to suicide. Lifeline has a list of suicide bereavement groups here.

Sending you a big hug Heart

hey i have been having my friends at school to distract me which is not always the best option sometimes i yell at them and sometime i just cry but sometime i wish i had someone to talk to that has gone through grief and loss. it is even harder when he did suicide in jail on boxing day 

sometime i have suicidal thoughts and now my doctor is looking at diagnosing me with ptsd (post traumatic stress disorder) which i have trouble coping with sometimes and it no great when you have it combined with depression and anxiety.

all you guys are so nice i feel like having a break down  

Hi @depressiongirl,

I am so sorry to hear the pain that you and your family are going through- my heart goes out to you in this difficult time Heart 

Losing someone and feeling that grief is so challenging, and grief can feel even more complex and heavy following the loss of someone you loved to suicide. That rollarcoaster of emotions can change moment to moment, between sometimes wanting to cry, other times wanting to yell is really tough- I want you to know that this is really common following the loss of someone you loved. It is 100% okay to feel these range of feelings, and for those emotions to change moment to moment- every person's journey through grief and loss will be different, and the range of feelings will also be different Heart It takes so much courage to express that emotion Heart

It also takes so much strength to talk to your doctor about thoughts of suicide, and I really encourage you to keep reaching out when these thoughts come up- there are people here at ReachOut and more broadly in crisis services who are there to listen whenever you need to talk Heart As I am sure you can see from the amazing support from @WheresMySquishy @gina-RO and @scared01, our community is here for you Heart

You have mentioned wanting to talk to someone else who understands- I really commend you for being open to peer support. Speaking to other people on the same journey of healing after a loved one has taken their life can be a helpful experience. It's not for everyone, but may be worth a try if you want to meet others who understand Heart I would really highly recommend Lifeline centres- they have some amazing supports to help the families surviving after losing a loved one to suicide. They run suicide bereavement groups that are open to anyone wanting a safe space to grieve and heal.

This was a long post, but one that is sent with lots of love and support from our team here at ReachOut 

Check out our community activities calendar for July 2019 here

hey @depressiongirl

im glad you have your friends to talk to but it sounds like getting some professional help from your gp sounds like it would be a good idea as they can refer you to psychologists and other appropriate people. that wya you can learn to grieve in a healthy way (so being able to manage your emotions and not yell at your friends etc) which isnt your fault, grieving is so so hard
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**