cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to escape from the news

All the news about the virus  stuff is really not helping my mental health my ocd is getting a lot worse and i am currently living with my family which is also difficult with my ocd due to my university studies also being interrupted by yes you guessed it the virus. I have had to defer which is also leaving me with ample time to worry and be stressed by literally anything and my mother is immunosuppressed so she is high risk and my family keeps talking about the virus, any social media is covered with adds and things about the virus even the tv now has adds every few minutes. YouTube has videos about it I cannot escape and it is really just making me even more anxious on top of everything else that has been going on. Plus it is making me so mad at all the people being stupid about it and I am just really tired of going from one disaster to another I already spent the entire summer coupoed up and in constant fear thanks to the bushfires and now literally straight off all of that into an pandemic which literally ruined my university degree and took away one of my only 3 dreams and I literally want to scream I am so exhausted by everything. 

Highlighted

Re: Unable to escape from the news

Hey @Eden1717, I’m sorry hearing how distressed you are feeling. I know I’ve definitely been feeling a lot more anxiety myself, but I can’t imagine how you would you feel with your OCD. 
I found a few bits of advice from the Real Depression Project and the Black Dog Institute in how to maintain mental health during this time. I’ve posted them below

C38840D2-5B5A-453D-A346-1369D2975F87.jpeg

416E4EFD-362A-4988-BB07-2F6DFBC43DCA.jpeg

92C70C81-5B63-49FD-9DDE-3FB52DE02B0C.jpeg

A8935AD1-43BB-4B76-B936-445294636638.jpeg

Highlighted

The news about the virus makes me really stressed out too @Eden1717. It's such a horrible thing to happen. Smiley Sad It must be even more stressful that your mum has issues with her immune system. I'm really worried about the family members I care for getting the virus because they have a high risk of complications as well.
Taking breaks from social media and reading good news stories has helped me. ReachOut has a helpful article about dealing with bad world news.
I've also found this guide with strategies for dealing with coronavirus worries to be really helpful.

Is there anything that you can do at home to take your mind off the situation? You could use this time to focus on your hobbies, do a free online course or volunteer to help others. I've found a lot of places that offer virtual volunteering online. There's also a great thread with a lot of other ideas too.

Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy  I am trying to do things that I can but everything is difficult right now and I am having trouble staying present so activities are difficult. 

@liv1611  Thanks for the tips. 

Highlighted

Hey @Eden1717 ,  

That sounds really hard Smiley Sad Do  you ever find doing repetitive tasks useful when you're feeling like this? It may sound weird, but I'm finding doing things like weeding the garden to be quite helpful at the moment, because I don't really have to focus, but it's kind of rhythmic and I get into a bit of a flow with it. Does that make sense? 

Hope you're going alright today.  

Check out our community activities calendar for August 2020 here
Highlighted

@Janine-RO  repetitive tasks make the OCD stuff more difficult to deal with... 

Highlighted

@Eden1717  Would writing down your thoughts and feelings help? It often makes me feel better, especially when I don't have a lot of energy to do an activity.
I have been thinking about writing about the things and people I am grateful for since the coronavirus situation got serious. It's helped me feel a bit more optimistic in the past. Would that help you?

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but there is a section of the ReachOut website that has a lot of other suggestions about how to cope with the coronavirus news.

Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy  Writing hasn’t been helping lately. I it is hard to explain. 

Highlighted

The news about this virus has been so draining, let alone everything else you have  going on. I've made a rule for myself that I don't look at my news feed, I've unfollowed news pages and am trying to use my phone in a really meaningful way. Like watching videos that make me happy, talking to friends etc.. Do you think that could help for a little while? 

Highlighted

@Bre-RO  I have stopped going on facebook and even though i keep trying to block them on youtube it keeps recommending videos, tumblr is putting up sticky threads about it, my ipad keeps forcing notifications on me, my phone company is sending alerts, my ndis coordinator is sending things about it, my parents keep insisting the news be on and i just have to put headphones in when it is on, my family keeps talking about it, my uni keeps sending emails about it, my physio sent notifications, my gp sent notifications, my psychiatrists sent notifications, there are signs everywhere if you do leave the house to get food or other things you need. even when i am actively avoiding it there is always something or someone that brings it back. i literally kept begging my parents to turn off the news last night and they just said "we dont get to hear this while we are at work" but then dont watch the freaking news look on your own phone and only bother yourself about it not me.