Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

Iona-RO
Contributor

Hi @Akinna😊

Thanks for sharing this with us. I totally get this feeling! It sounds like you've had a tough time during your teenage years, and I had a very similar experience when I went through school. Then when people are like 'they're the best years of your life!' I was like, sorry what?? These years have been so horrible! And this is supposed to be the best it gets?! But! I can assure you, that it is not the case at all.

Turning 18, finishing school, leaving home, gaining more independence is totally scary, you're very valid in feeling that way. But all these changes actually made life so much better for me personally. There are definitely still stresses involved, especially being financially responsible for yourself. But, it was all the start of me really figuring out who I was as a person, finding people that I really genuinely connected with and realising what it is in life that actually makes me really happy.

I think your suggestion of journalling about things you want to do and are looking forward to is a brilliant idea. I actually made a big list when I was 18 of all the things I wanted to do & places I wanted to visit. Nothing serious or goal-orientated, just all the fun things I wanted to do. I would love to hear some of the things you're looking forward to if you feel comfortable sharing ❤️

I've seen some of the replies and advice you've offered to other community members today and it's clear you're a really kind person. And so good at giving advice too! Sometimes (and I have to remind myself of this regularly too!) it's good to look at the advice you give others and direct it back to yourself. If you had a friend that was feeling worried about turning 18, I wonder what advice you would give them?

Looking forward to hearing from you Akinna 🧡

Who rated this post