Builder

[CHAT] I went looking for help and didn't find it

[ Edited ]

Asking for help can be a scary experience, especially the first time. You might have no idea what to expect. So how can you tell if the kind of help you got was the right kind of help? What does good help even look like? And what can you do if you asked for help and aren't happy with what happened next? 

It can sorta be like:

The-lord-is-testing-me-gif.gif

But then it might be like:

giphy.gif

Join us on Monday the 10th of October at 8pm (AEDT) to talk more, or tell us what you'd like to talk about now by clicking 'reply'! 

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Community Manager

Re: [CHAT] I went looking for help and didn't find it

Hey everyone!

So tonight at 8pm AEDT we're going to talk about what happens when you work up the courage to get help, and its not quite what you expect!  

Join us to talk about and find what you can do about it- and more From 8pm AEDT tonight!

If you're going through a tough time, please talk to someone on our list here. Don't worry, they're great! 
Please remember guidelines when joining this conversation.

Builder

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, welcome to our Getting Real on asking for help and what you can do if things don't go how you expected them to.

Our first question of the night is...

What are some of your expectations when seeking help? This can be if you've done it many times before or even just thinking about getting some help for the first time.

//caught in fire, watch me burn gonna live my life, mark these words cause I'm home//
Community Manager

What are some of your expectations when seeking help? This can be if you've done it many times before or even just thinking about getting some help for the first time.

Being understood, and also understanding the kind of help that's offered, for example if it's medication, how it acts on my brain, if it's some kind of conversation, how that helps! Feeling like I have some options to choose from and knowing what to expect would be nice too. 

Oh and most importantly to be taken seriously!

Builder

[ Edited ]

I expect to feel...

- Safe

- Understood at least a little bit

- Listened to

- Respected

- That the other person won't go and talk to other people about what has been said

and this is big one for me

I want to feel like I have control over my treatment and that I do have choices

Community Manager

Mod

Hey

Hey everyone! 

What are some of your expectations when seeking help?

For me, some of my expectations include how long is the session going to be? I think I've found a nice balance at 50 - 60 mins in that any shorter and not everything would be covered, longer and it would just drag on!

I would want someone who doesn't appear to be judgemental, doesn't force their core values on you, coz everyone is different. Allows me to go at the pace I would prefer.

And I would like to be informed of all the information out there, that way I can make an informed choice about my care/path.

I'm interested to see what other people think. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Mod

Those are some pretty major things that you have mentioned, @j95. I'm glad that you are able to identify what makes a good help session for you. Smiley Happy 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
Mod

Hey @j95!! Super excited for tonight's chat Smiley Happy

That I will be listened to in a non-judgemental and empathic way, and be taken seriously. I think it's super important to find a support network/mental health professional that you really connect with, and it's okay for that to take a little while.

I completely agree with what @Ben-RO and @stonepixie about access to information so that you can make informed decisions - it's important to remember that you have an active role in your own recovery (I find that pretty empowering to recognise).

Builder

For the person to listen and understand what I'm saying, for the conversation/details to be confidential. Rightly or wrongly, I do kind of expect to at least feel a bit calmer or more in control of the situation after seeking help.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
Top High Fived Authors