cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:32 PM

To be honest, I didn’t know what to expect from tertiary study when I was in high school. My own experiences were seeing my brothers go through university throughout the week. 

University was totally different to high-school. You aren't surrounded with the same people for months on end and so was a new experience. I enjoyed that! For me I studied science (an area I found interesting) and completed the course start to end. But I know many friends that changed course or changed career completely whilst in tertiary study. 

Looking back, I enjoyed that I developed a really close group of university friends who have the same values and morals as I do. Their support means everything to me and I did not expect my friendship group to change over the years. I still keep in touch with some high-school friends. But as I have changed and grown over the years, so has my friendship group. 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:35 PM

It is such a different experience to school - but with new experience comes opportunities for growth. Like having a wider friendship circle is an exciting part of leaving school as well! 

It's sounds like being led by your personal interest really helped you get through your course!

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:27 PM

I thought I would like university more than I did. I didn’t particularly enjoy campus life and thought I would be a lot more social. I know some people loved their tertiary study, made lots of amazing friends and had a great time. I personally didn’t and found I really missed the structure of school. I like being ‘taught’ content and having facilitated lessons as opposed to the weight of learning resting primarily on you. I struggled with self-directed learning and procrastinated when I had to teach myself content as I learn best from others and by doing.

Hozzles
Star contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:34 PM

I completely agree!

I remember thinking I'd make so many friends, be active in the social life, have a brand new start... nope, it wasn't that easy! Ironically, it took me years into my degree and the pandemic for me to start making some great uni friends (everyone gathering online was a big help, haha).

I hate how uni is structured sometimes. There's pretty much no leeway for rest or if you're sick. If you're away for a week it starts to pile up! They tend to make things due in the one week of break you get! I don't know if I could even handle uni at all if it wasn't for some brillant lecturers and the disability resource centre. Also, being a psychology student and a mental health advocate, it sometimes amazes me how little of the content is applicable in real life... 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:39 PM

I'm so glad you're getting support/ guidance from your lecturers and disability resource centre. But yes - very concerning ab out the lack of real life application to psychology haha. That's why people with lived experience are so valuable in that space!

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:41 PM

Very true. Lived experience counts for a lot

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:37 PM

The pressure of uni assignments can definitely creep up! I unluckily injured myself in my fourth week of 1st year uni and the uni support services were super helpful to make sure I stayed on track and had the support I needed for exams and assignments. 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:31 PM

Thanks for your honesty! I find uni education the same. It's so helpful to get to know what your learning style is and for a lot of people self-directed learning just isn't their thing. Have you found the TAFE structure to be a better fit? 

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:38 PM

Funnily enough yes. Whilst I underestimated the course (we have a 100% pass rate compared to unis 50% pass rate), I have found the teaching to be a bit more hands on. 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:11 PM

BreRO_0-1630404101214.gif

Thank you to the community member who asked this question. I connect with it on a personal level and I am sure lots of people will. Our next question is: 

You both sound really successful! As someone who was really successful in school my mental health has made me go 'offtrack' in hitting a lot of life milestones 'in time'. Have you guys ever felt like this, or what do you think of the idea of life milestones in today's society?

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:17 PM

For me I grew up feeling like life was prescribed for me - go to school, go to university, graduate, find a job, buy a house, find a partner etc. 

What I realised since finishing high school is that there is no age or time you need to get anything done by. I am lucky to be in a job that gives me purpose, but I am still figuring things out for dating and relationships. 

Everyone goes through life at their own speed and where you are in life right now is exactly where you are meant to be. Milestones are what you want them to be. You can achieve them at whatever time is right for you. 

RevzZ
Star contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:31 PM

> there is no age or time you need to get anything done by

I realised this very late in life (just last week) but it's literally now my driving force.

Hozzles
Star contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:21 PM

Yeah, there's no prescribed time limit for anything! Everyone has their own circumstances, and their own time line. There's no manual to look back on!

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:20 PM

This is exactly right. It's taken me a long time to learn and appreciate this but it's so true

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:16 PM

I 100% feel you. In school at one point I was top of my class, doing really well and took on three major works for year 12. By the time year 12 happened my mental health severely impacted how I went in the HSC and when I started struggling to keep up at university I feel quite ashamed. I definitely saw myself as a failure for stepping back and focusing on my mental health. And even the age I am now, so many people I went to school with are married, having kids, in their career of choice and I feel like I’m only just finishing my tertiary study. I absolutely feel behind at times, but you really do have to remind yourself that we all run our own race. I try to remind myself of this regularly. You are still achieving goals even if it looks different to others. Whilst I’m not yet in my career of choice, nor married, or whatever else people consider “successful” I have done a lot of mental health advocacy and overcome incredible mental health obstacles. I have travelled, am studying and I am where I need to be. Working on your mental health counts for a lot.

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:23 PM

Everyone goes through life at their own speed + we all run our own race 

Quotes of the night from both of you so far. I couldn't agree more!

There is so time limit on when you complete certain milestones, or if you ever do. The best part is that there is no limit on the number of attempts you get at going after your dreams. 

As Jordan said, working on your mental health counts for a lot. We might be recognised for it with awards ceremonies and certificates - but we do get huge rewards

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:22 PM

Working on yourself takes a lot of courage and intentionality. I have huge amounts of respect for you putting in the effort!

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:24 PM

Thank you ❤️ And your story is inspiring me quite frankly haha!!

WheresMySquishy
Uber contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:06 PM

I have to go now, but I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this amazing chat later!

Thanks so much for chatting with us @Jords_km and @Nigel-YA!

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:11 PM

Thanks for joining us @WheresMySquishy@WheresMySquishy !

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 7:57 PM

I vividly remember being so overwhelmed by the pressure to study something straight after school. It was confusing to work out how to get a foot in the door - so I love this question. 

Tell us about how you've navigated establishing a career!

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:04 PM

There is this quote by Steve Jobs where he said “You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.”

I had no formal plan for my career. I have chosen areas I found interesting or areas I want to learn more in. Looking back and connecting the dots, I have realised that I have developed many transferable skills because of the different opportunities I threw myself into. Whether it was volunteering, part-time retail jobs, or doing internships - I just gave them a go and learnt along the way. 

Many of these experiences I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I had to ask lots of questions, ask for help, and figure it out as I went. Over time, I became more confident in my ability to try new things and tackle new problems. Every day I am learning something new and I think it has been my mentality to give things a go regardless if it is scary. 

You can learn so much about yourself by pushing yourself out of my comfort zone! I did this repeatedly and looking back I can now connect the dots which at the time made no sense at all. 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:10 PM

Oooo I love that quote and it's just so true!

It must be interesting now to look back on your journey and connect the dots. What really stands out to me is your openness to new challenges without being too invested in the result. I think there's something so valuable in being in it for the experience and not for the outcome.                          

Hozzles
Star contributor

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:08 PM

Oooh I love that quote! Definitely accurate! We can never know for certain what the future holds. 

originally posted on 31-08-2021 8:05 PM

That's amazing. I love that