cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Discouraged about finding a job

Hey @Rattata , 

I really feel for you - job hunting can be such a hard slog, it takes a lot to have to keep putting yourself out there, especially when there can be heaps of factors that are outside your control that might influence whether or not you're successful. 

Are you studying at the moment? I know a lot of unis/ TAFES will have a casual job board, and their career advisors can also be a really good resource to use to get some feedback on your resume/ ideas about interviewing tips etc. Volunteering can also be a great way to add to your resume ( we are always accepting applications for builders and recruit approximately once a month if you'd be interested in that!) 

What kind of work are you interested in? I know a lot of people who've had success in using temp agencies for things like admin jobs, have you given those a try at all? I also often see people  on local Facebook pages looking for uni students to help with looking after kids/ tutoring/ help at home, if anything like that would appeal. 

I know that covid has also meant that job hunting has been especially tough and it can be so demoralising when the job hunt just feels never ending - you clearly have heaps to offer a prospective employer and I hope you're successful soon! 

Check out our community activities calendar here

@Janine-RO 

Yeah it's been a tough time, I've taken a break from it for a little while so hopefully, there are some jobs out there I could get a chance at. I do want to stay positive though I don't have much hope.

I am studying at the moment but theres not much around right now as far as I can see. I'm basically looking for anything at this point, and I've had profiles on tutoring sites and stuff for over a year now but haven't had any luck with that either.

What does being a builder actually mean?

Thanks for the support Smiley Very Happy

Also, I don't feel like making another thread but I feel really awful right now and just wanted to put it out there because no one has around to talk to and I feel really dismissed and alone.

Hey @Rattata 

So sorry you were feeling really awful last night. Feeling dismissed and alone is a horrible feeling, it must have been a rough night for you, did you manage to get some sleep? How are you going today?

In terms of your question about what a builder is, builders are forum volunteers who commit to giving support on the forum for 2 hours a week, through peer support, community building, welcoming new members and helping to make our online space the awesome place it is. There is some more information about it here with instructions on how to apply if you're interested Smiley Very Happy

Hope you're having a better day today @Rattata Heart

@Hannah-RO I'm feeling a little better and I did manage to get some sleep but I still feel really tired. 

Hmm I might consider it then. Smiley Very Happy

Hopefully if I can get productive today I can feel less stressed later.

hey @Rattata, how did you go with the rest of your day?

Not great
It was okay for a while but then I started feeling really abandoned and my feelings dismissed again. I also feel really bad because I didn't manage to get any uni work done today and it's really stressing me out.

Hey @Rattata , I'm so sorry to hear that you weren't feeling great last night. You mention feeling abandoned and like you're having your feeling dismissed, is that something that's happened with friends, or family? It's really crap to feel like that, we're here if you want to chat about things at all Heart 

Check out our community activities calendar here

@Janine-RO 

Yeah I feel like everyone close to me has been really dismissive of everything I say recently. I'm kind of used to it from my sister because she's been like that to me my whole life, but now it's from everyone except my dad and it's all too much. Smiley Sad

I just feel so alone and really stressed about a lot of other things I'm really struggling.

I am sorry to hear that @Rattata, that must be really upsetting and horrible. It sucks to feel as though your family are not supportive and/or that you cannot talk to them without feeling dismissed. I have some people in my life who are dismissive, so I know how much that can hurt sometimes. Do you have anyone in your life who makes you feel validated or supported?