cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Psych Students Support Thread

Hey @jesseka_grace, I'm not sure if you've already seen this on Volunteering QLD but there's the Group61 mental health befriending program. Otherwise if you live in the Sunshine Coast there's the Vinnies Compeer Friendship Program. I haven't participated in either of these programs but they do sound interesting!

Hey everyone!

I graduated from my Honours in Psychology in 2015, so I feel like I can give a decent amount of advice on this topic. ☺️ (soz if this gets a bit long) 

First off, in regards to Masters, entry into the courses are INCREDIBLY competitive (especially Clinical), with the majority of candidates already having had years of experience. That said, if you don't get in straight away, don't be disheartened! There's plenty of ways to build up your experience.

I've actually done the Compeer Friendship Program myself and found it very rewarding. Essentially, you're paired up with someone who is dealing with a mental illness (usually someone experiencing depression/anxiety/schizophrenia) and you hang out with them as a friend for an hour a week on average and help them out when needed. It starts off as a year-long commitment and also have the opportunity to continue (if my memory serves correctly, Compeer's longest friendship is over 20 years!) They'll give you training, including a short suicide prevention gatekeeper course, as well as ensuring your partnered friend is compatible with you. ☺️

Another program I did with Vinnies was the Bright Sparks program where you go to a school with children from refugee backgrounds and teach them English and about Australia. Not sure if it's available outside of Sydney though 😐 however, if kids are your thing, I can also suggest doing ABA therapy for children on the spectrum! It's a challenging gig, but it's very valuable experience. 

Chances vary greatly, but there are generally university academics looking for undergrads as volunteer interns for psychology projects, so definitely try to gratin touch with whatever academics and ask them if they could use a hand. It's usually mundane stuff like data entry, but there's the chance of it progressing onto more hands-off stuff and even if you don't, you'll still get a reference out of it. ☺️

For those of you looking to go straight into work right after uni (like I did), it's also no less competitive out there. I had over two years of research experience as a fresh graduate amongst a number of Psychology-related roles and still took me over a year to land a job in my area (mental health research, no less 😉). That said, mental health research is probably one of the most competitive areas out there, so mileage definitely varies on how lucky you are on getting a job, depending on what you want to get into. 🤷

My number one piece of advice is apply for EVERYTHING. Even if you get into something that isn't exactly what you want to get into, you'll still get experience out of it, which will give you that competitive edge in your next role.

I'll save you all the hassle of reading this wall of text and just end it here. 😅

Feel free to hit me up with any questions you my have regarding post-degree stuff! Who knows, I may even do an AMA if there's that much demand. 😉

Hey everyone, I'm not a psych student by any means, but I think it's really important that this thread gets brought back to the top, due to the amount of psych students on RO, as well as being able to create a supportive community! Heart

That's really thoughtful of you @mrmusic Smiley Happy

Ohh thanks for the tip @j_, I'll definitely look into the Compeer program!

How're all my fellow psych students doing? 

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Not too bad, but then again I'm still halfway through undergrad so I'm not that concerned about honours and postgrad just yet. What about you?

Fair enough - you've still got some time ahead of you before the worrying and post-grad, which is good!

I'm about to start applying for Masters and I'm dreading it. I've got my heart set on staying at the uni where I did my undergrad and 4th year, so my fingers are crossed for that!

// Spiral outward, keep going. //