cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I need help with my addictions

Hi. I am a first time poster. I have recently turned 22 years old.

Over the past 6 months I have been taking drugs and drinking most weekends - usually certain kinds, but only ever after i have been drinking (which impairs my decision making). I am a 4th year university student and to be honest these habits are not affecting my studies. I work 2 jobs to support myself. 

I have had a gambling addiction before, and often still gamble (but only small amounts). I have also nearly lost my girlfriend over this recently, as she does not trust me anymore. 

I want to get better, and i want to help myself. I want to kick these addictions out and learn to have fun without alcohol, drugs or gambling. I am looking for advice from anyone on here as to what i can / should do. I am completely ashamed of myself, and i really do not want to lose relationships, such as my girlfriend, due to these habits. I believe I can change, and i really want to change.

Thanking you in advance.

Highlighted

Re: I need help with my addictions

Hey @YoungBuck and welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

First of all I want to say that it seems like you have a lot of self-awareness and it's really great that you've taken a step towards addressing the behaviors which you can see might be problematic by asking for help - well done! 

I'm wondering if you've ever spoken to a mental health professional about this, or if that's something you might consider?

P.S. Just letting you know that I have edited your post to remove the names of specific drugs, because that information could be tricky for other users. You're welcome to read more about this in our community guidelines Smiley Happy  

// Spiral outward, keep going. //
Highlighted

Hi @YoungBuck, welcome to the forums!

I don't have any real experience sorry, but you might find this website helpful? https://www.counsellingonline.org.au/how-we-can-help/chat-to-a-counsellor

Hopefully between the forums and that site you'll get a few ideas.

Highlighted

Hi @YoungBuck! Welcome to the forums! I hope that you'll find them helpful. Smiley Happy

Addictions can be really hard to beat, especially if you have several of them at once. I think it's really brave of you to admit that you have something in your life that you want to change. The first step is often the hardest. Well done!

I'm sorry that you and your girlfriend have broken up. Regardless of the reason, that's really sad and unfortunate. Smiley Sad How are you coping with the breakup?

Regarding your addictions, you might find the following articles helpful:
Gambling addiction
Drug problems
Managing comedown effects of drugs

Here is an app that might help with alcohol problems: Daybreak

I think it would also be a good idea to consult a GP about your drug taking and drinking. They might be able to provide you with suggestions of help you can find in your local area, such as support groups and psychological help. They might also be able to help you deal with any side effects or withdrawal symptoms or prescribe medication that can help.

I hope things work out for you! I'm so proud that you want to change Heart

Highlighted

Hi @YoungBuck, welcome to ReachOut! Smiley Happy Just checking in to see how you're doing, and if you've had a chance to look at some of the websites that @Tiny_leaf and @WheresMySquishy have linked to?

It takes a lot of courage to post something like this, and I'm really glad that you're reaching out for support. Realising that you have an issue like this is such a huge step towards recovery, so well done! Heart

Highlighted

Hey @YoungBuck , i just wanted to thank you for making this post. I understand that struggling with substance issues, or any addiction, can feel incredibly shameful and painful, but struggling definitely doesn't make you a bad person, it makes you human Heart 

I was wondering if you felt comfortable trying any of the sites or suggestions mentioned above?

I know personally i've found some of the tips on the Counselling Online website @Tiny_leaf mentioned really helpful. It doesn't just have phone and web counselling, but also self-help tips to help take steps to reduce substance use (i think most of them could be applied to gambling too!). Despite the name it's actually targeted towards drug and alcohol use, not just counselling in general (bit of a confusing name really). It might even have ways of getting connected to peers in the same situation online, though i've never really looked too closely at that section.

Change is always possible, and i believe in you too. Just reaching out here in the first place is so incredibly brave, and such an important first step. I really mean it when i say you should be proud of yourself for that. Heart Please feel free to let us know how you're going if you feel comfortable doing so Heart We're always here if you need to talk xx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart