cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT] Don't Dis my Ability.

@Ben-RO Education and awareness are key - that is what will bring change within society. 

I think once people have the opportunity to connect with an individual living with a disability, chat with them and get to know a bit more, this is also really valuable in changing opinion! 

@Ben-RO initially some disabilities can be confronting, so perhaps increasing the awareness and education around what is and is not a disability and the capabilities of those with a disability? What do you think @RedPandasAreRad?

That is basically what I just said Smiley Tongue 

@RedPandasAreRad Taking the words straight out of your mouth Smiley Tongue Legendary response!

Hmm I think we have time for ONE more question! And worst case we can make a thread and keep talking about it a bit more in the rest of the forums Smiley Happy

What does the word Inclusion mean to you? 

Amazing @RedPandasAreRad such great insight! 

I've thoroughly enjoyed this conversation but I'm afraid I have to bid you all adieu! I have work early tomorrow but I've learnt so much tonight and it feels damn good to be slightly more aware and have a better understanding of disability now than I had before so thank you all for that!

Hope to see you all around the forums Smiley Happy

Ninj

Highlighted

After this conversation, to me, inclusion means readily acknowledging one's strengths and what they can offer, and giving everyone an equal opportunity to express their capabilities

Everyone having equal access to the same opportunities. Being willing to make reasonable adjustments so that that is possible. 

|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||

@Ben-RO, to me, inclusion to me is ensuring that everyone, regardless of their abilities, have the ability to take and feel a part. It is more then simply just finding a way to let someone take part in an activity or exercise or outing or friendship group or whatever. They must be made to feel as they are valued in the same way every other member is, and have the opportunity to obtain benefits in the same way everyone else does. 

@RedPandasAreRad thanks heaps for joining in tonight, your input has been second to none! Really great insight