cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Taking Your Stress out on Other People & Why it Sucks

What are the activities and pressures that give you the most stress? Why?

school

work

friends

family

bad news on tv

bad weather

not managing my time well

my own expectations of myself

@Sophie-RO wrote:

@fosterthepeople wrote:
I think that's a great message that "with practice anyone can change the way they react".

love that too

Smiley Wink

What are the activities and pressures that give you the most stress? Why?

Eek...this is sort of a really tough complex one for me to answer.  Predominantly my stress stems from my past and the constant replaying of events that happened up to 8 years ago in my life...to things just yesterday.  I replay and replay and replay them.  Because I'm trying to deal with a lot of those feels and emotions, it interferes with my uni work and studying...then the workload keeps increasing and I start 'freaking out' that I don't have enough time.  But really, I have plenty of time.  I'm just so caught up in what I have to do, or what I should be doing, or what I haven't done; instead of focusing on the moment.  The here and now and what I can do in this instant.

@fosterthepeople wrote:

What are the activities and pressures that give you the most stress? Why?

my own expectations of myself

Oh yeah...this is a massive one for me.  I'm my own worst critic.  It can be hard to please 'me'.

Currently it's exams and always feeling as though there are not enough hours in the day!

One which always gets me stressed especially when i'm trying to sleep is about what I;m going to do in the future.

@Sagira: I'm very guilty of that.

"I'm just so caught up in what I have to do, or what I should be doing, or what I haven't done; instead of focusing on the moment.  The here and now and what I can do in this instant." - That's great advice and something I'll keep in mind for my upcoming exams.

I think that about myself sometimes as well. Sometimes it may not even be my family who expects a lot from me but what I think they expect of me. 

The future stresses me out sometimes when I over think about it too much. 

I think exams will always stress me out. Don't think I'll ever look forward to them. I'd like to meet someone who enjoys them as much as a fish loves water.

Sounds like everyone deals all sorts of stress from all sorts of angles and sources in our lives. This is a tough question but very important to consider when we're stressed. 

How can you tell when you are taking your own stress out on someone  else, rather than having a legitimate issue with them?

@fosterthepeople wrote:

I think that about myself sometimes as well. Sometimes it may not even be my family who expects a lot from me but what I think they expect of me. 

The future stresses me out sometimes when I over think about it too much. 

I think exams will always stress me out. Don't think I'll ever look forward to them. I'd like to meet someone who enjoys them as much as a fish loves water.

Yes I understand where you're coming from.  For a lot of people, they're not only doing

Highlighted

Who have I taken my stress out on?

Usually i take it out on my sister and friends, especially if I am low (diabetic). Half the time I dont realise what I am doing till I feel better then feel so guilty. If I shutdown I dont talk to anyone unless its absolutely necessary, until I can get somewhere where I can let out what I am feeling alone.

What stresses me out

Uni

Work

writing graduate applications, somehow tyring to decide what I am going to do the rest of my life is driving me crazy

keeping myself from getting depressed

generally pretty stressed out at the moment

@sagira: you probably are all over this, but do you have any mindfulness or CBT techniques that you can use to try catch yourself getting caught up in a spin thinking about the past?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

What are the activities and pressures that give you the most stress? Why?

School, work, friends, family, friends, uni, the future, poor time management and my own expectations of myself.