cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:56 PM

Goodnight everybody! Thank you for another amazing session!  

lanejane
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 10:03 PM

For anyone who wants to come chat or chill - i've just started a new thread!

http://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Hanging-out/bd-p/Intros

See you there for a little bit!

lanejane
cathtastrophe
Rookie

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:36 PM

my advice to anyone who wants to be more optimistic is to joy down each day 3 things in your life that bri b g b you joy and that v you're truly appreciative b of. keeps me centred and reminder of what's great

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:39 PM

@cathtastrophe that's a really cool thing to do.

sort of reminds me of a thread we have on reachout. have you ever seen it? this is the link.

i need to go add my three positives before i get offline tonight!

lanejane
AllyJane
Frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:12 PM

@FootyFan26 I hope you're okay, we're here if you need! Get some rest and maybe come back to it tomorrow. 

AllyJane
Frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:09 PM

5.    Sometimes it can be pretty difficult to be optimistic, whether it’s because of your own life or looking at the things going on in the world. What are some common things that might hurt our chances at being optimistic?

I think being in a group/community that doesnt encourage you, or where you're comparing yourself to others and getting dissapointed can really damage your tendency to be optimistic. My specific example would be going to uni, where you're surrounded by people who are constantly comparing you to others. It can really start to hurt your optimism and your self esteem, and make you stop being motivated about something that you really once enjoyed. 

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:16 PM

@AllyJane uni is such a good example and i've never properly thought about it like that. sometimes just listening to others can effect how you feel.

and @j95 fast food is another good example haha. im never optimistic about eating out at certain restuaraunts because in the past they f up my meal haha 😛 AND IM A FOODIE SO DOING THAT IS LIKE THE WORST

lanejane
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:18 PM

same @lanejane "oh they didn't salt my chips/give me enough parmasen cheese, let's not come back here"
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
lanejane
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:19 PM

@j95 dude not enough cheese should literally be a crime.

lanejane
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:59 PM

Everyone is different, everyone sees the world differently and everyone is at a different stage in their journey through life @Sveto 

Sveto
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:58 PM

I prefer positive thinking simply because it feels good. I love life as it is, accepting everything as it is. There is no much effort needed because this life has mechanisms built in to protect me. I trust life and love it. There are no more negative things in my life. Well, almost, I am still working on this 🙂

bessie94
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 9:00 PM

@Sveto , its great your life is that way and I'm happy for you that it is working well 🙂
AllyJane
Frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:51 PM

Some people aren’t really big fans of optimism, saying that it’s an unrealistic way of looking at life. What do you think about this idea? Why do you think that is?

I think the saying "no expectations, no dissapointments" is pretty relevant for this. If you have a negative expecatation of a situation, you're never going to feel dissapointed when it doesn't work out because its exactly what you were expecting.

It's much easier than facing how it feels when we're let down, but that doesn't mean it's not worth getting your hopes up about things. 

Sveto
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:44 PM

You can fail in the school, on the job, in the relationship etc but don't fail to be happy.

Sveto
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:43 PM

It improves the quality of our lives. The quality of our lives has nothing to do with our knowledge, sucess, goals, situation, material posession etc. They can only be a means to get there, but usually they don't produce long lasting happiness.

The quality of our lives depends solely on how we feel.

AllyJane
Frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:39 PM

3. What do you think would be some of the benefits of practicing optimism??

I think the benefits to your own self esteem would be substantial. You would feel more confident, and this would also improve your self efficacy making you generally a more positive person, and you would perservere more for the things you really want to achieve. 

Sveto
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:39 PM

Optimistic thinking is good, decisions made in positive state of mind are mosly better than ones made in negativity. Positive thinking calms the mind and increases the quality of the thinking process.

AllyJane
Frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:20 PM

2. Would you say that you’re an optimistic person? Why/why not?

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a mixed bag with this one. I'm super optimistic towards other people - for their sake. I'll encourage people as much as I can and always try to find their silver linings for a crummy situation. But I struggle taking my own advice a lot, and I end up snowballing into a really negative mindset because I can't see the bright side, but it's definitely something I'm trying to work on. 

Sveto
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:26 PM

@AllyJane wrote:

2. Would you say that you’re an optimistic person? Why/why not?

Unfortunately I'm a bit of a mixed bag with this one. I'm super optimistic towards other people - for their sake. I'll encourage people as much as I can and always try to find their silver linings for a crummy situation. But I struggle taking my own advice a lot, and I end up snowballing into a really negative mindset because I can't see the bright side, but it's definitely something I'm trying to work on. 

Ally Jane, you say you struggle taking your own advice, maybe you are a bit harsch to yourself. Maybe you need to forgive yourself more. There is one absolute fact about you: in everything you did, you've give your best! Like everyone on this planet.

AllyJane
Frequent scribe

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:29 PM

@Sveto that is a really kind thing to say, I will deifinitely write that down and look at it when I'm feeling a little pessimistic. Thank you 🙂

j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:34 PM

Hey everyone!! Sorry I'm late and if I stop replying it probably cause I have fallen asleep (footy training was beyond exhausting)! Keen to jump in 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
bessie94
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:35 PM

What do you think would be some of the benefits of practicing optimism??

I think some of the benefits are it can keep things happy and positive !!
FootyFan26
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:35 PM

Nice to see ya @j95
bessie94
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-09-2015 8:34 PM

Welcome @j95 !!