cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Alone (Suicidal ideation)

I can't do this. Every time I go to see my counsellor I promise myself that I will tell her about my suicidal ideation but I just can't. It petrifies the living hell out of me to think about the fact that if I do, she will probably  decide I am at risk and tell my family. It will absolutely tear us apart and that would be the last thing I could take.

Highlighted

Re: Alone (Suicidal ideation)

Hey there @Blurryphaced I get your fear, I really do. If it helps many of us here have spoken about suicidal ideation with our counsellors.

A counsellor's job is to explore that with you, explore the feelings and narrative around it. They will only need to contact someone else if you say something along the lines of "I am going to kill myself as soon as I leave here", any really imminent plan. Even then it is generally emergency services they would escalate to, they also would try and help you stay safe first by working through strategies. Talking about suicide is a really important part of the process. If you want further support around this, would you consider phoning KHL and asking one of the counsellors to explain to you the duty of care involved? You could say you are phoning for a friend, and that you would like to know if it's true SI remains confidential. I will tag some other members too Smiley Happy @Bee @scared01 @ErinsAntics @lokifish

Highlighted

@Blurryphaced
i think @Bree-RO has hit the nail on the head. i have spoken to my counsellor numerous times about suicidal idealation and my self harm and the only time it was taken further was when i said i had intended to act on the thoughts.
try to be honest with them though, it is important to explore whats causing these thoughts and how to manage them otherwise they just become this big spiral of mess that it even harder to understand.
KHL and Headspace are both good with this sort of thing as well, so id give them a go if your up for it too.

this link might help you to better understand...
https://headspace.org.au/duty-of-care
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

@BlurryphacedI just want to back up what @Bree-RO said, counsellors only tell someone if you are serious about going to harm yourself or someone else and/or are in immediate danger. It's actually in the privacy act if you want to read up on it and also when you first saw counsellor they should've spoken to you about confidentiality and their policies and it's totally ok to ask about it if you can't recall it.

It's also totally normal to feel how you are feeling and everyone at some point has felt the way you do. You are not alone in this and we are here to support you. By realising you are feeling this way and wanting to do something about is a great step. The people at Kids Help Line are really nice and it's always great to get another perspective on things too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!
Highlighted

Hey @Blurryphaced I have the same problem

i hesitated telling my counsellor that I have suicidal thoughts and self harm in fear that she might tell my mum. I’m 16 and that’s what worried me is that she might tell her coz I’m so young. I think counsellor only tell parents about this is if you are at immediate risk of taking your life or hurting yourself badly or hurting someone else. Thats what I have been told. It may be different for different counsellor. Hope you can find the courage to tell your counsellor about your suicidal thoughts 

🙂