cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How do you tell your parents you want to quit?

Hi, just looking for advice asap please.

I've been figure skating for around six years now, almost half of my entire life. But now, I honestly dread going to the rink, and after each practice, brace myself for the criticism that's going to come from my mom, saying, 'why didn't you practice? How many doubles did you land? How did you do? Why can't you practice? Why can't you do better?' It's been like this for around three years already, progressively getting worse, and I've just kept shouldering on it this entire time. Don't get me wrong, I love it. I love the feeling of landing a double, of spinning till I get dizzy, skating to music, and the freedom. But my mom's 'comments' are getting too much to bear, and it feels more like what she wants rather than what I want.

I haven't been back to the rink in like four-five months, since quarantine, and I honestly enjoyed it. I've been having the occasional mental breakdown at night, though it's gotten better through sheer will. I'm afraid returning will just cause my mom to get more mad at me.

So, please, any advice on how to break it to my parents that I want to quit figure-skating?

Highlighted

Re: How do you tell your parents you want to quit?

hey @natalya_alianovna_romanova 

that sounds like a lot of pressure on your shoulders. im sorry your parents expect so much of your and your sporting commitments.

perhaps you could try and find a time to sit down with them and let them know that although you love it you don't want to do it anymore or want to have a break from it for a while to focus on other commitments like schooling? 

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

Thank you so much for the support!
Highlighted

I hope they will understand and listen to you. I know how hard it is when parents have such high expectations but don't really want to listen to what we need ourselves.
Highlighted

if you know you might not be able to talk to them perhaps you could write a letter instead to give to your parents to read
Highlighted

Hey @natalya_alianovna_romanova Smiley Happy

It can be really hard to know how to have these conversations with parents. @scared01's idea of writing a letter/sending a message is one that I used to use a lot - sometimes it's easier to express ourselves when we can sit down and write it out.

What do you think?

Thanks! I'm planning on telling my mum maybe later next week.
Highlighted

good luck! I hope it all works out well for you
Highlighted

Hey @natalya_alianovna_romanova, great to hear. Do you have any plans of how you will tell her? We are here to help if you need it Heart

Highlighted

Hey @natalya_alianovna_romanova 

It's great that you're planning to tell your mum. You could even be honest with her and tell her (kindly and gently) that her comments/questions were too much.

You could say something like "I know you mean well, but...really upsets me" or "I know you don't mean it, but when you do ....it makes me feel like ..."

What do you think?