cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: TW: Re: Social Isolation

Hey @Bento ,

Thanks so much for updating us on everything that's been happening for you! It sounds like you've handled starting TAFE really well, even with the setback of having the timetable stuff-up, which would definitely throw most people! It sounds like a really great fit for you, and most importantly it's great that seems like a pleasant environment. I know a few people who've been to various types of art school at TAFE/uni, and a lot of them have described feeling the same way that you did in their first year, that their skills might not be as good as other people in some areas - I think that's super normal. 

Thank you SO much for sharing your art with the community here - I am seriously blown away. I don't know a lot about art, but I really love anime and graphic art especially, and I love the way you've been able to create totally different characters and personalities with your art. You're clearly super skilled, but I think the thing I love the most is the way their eyes seem alive. If that makes sense! The colours are amazing too. 

So that's my 2 cents, can't wait to see what the rest of the community thinks! 

The convention sounds like an amazing opportunity for you! I can totally understand some anxiety about it - from what I've heard, it can be really unpredictable what sells and what doesn't sometimes. What I can say is I think your art is amazing, and it sounds like such a great opportunity to meet a lot of like-minded people, get inspired by other artists, and see what else is happening in your community. You are definitely an artist Smiley Happy

Check out our community activities calendar for April 2020 here
Highlighted

Hi @Bento, thanks for sharing your artwork, it is so amazing. I personally really love anime style things! I did need to remove them as it contains your handle which may impact your privacy and prevent you from remaining anonymous. I do encourage you to reshare them without including your handle, I know the rest of the community would love to see them.

It is great to hear that class has been going well for you. Give yourself time and I am sure you will develop new skills and learn even more. It is so amazing that you have really taken this opportunity for yourself. Well done on completing your second week! Smiley Happy
Highlighted

First I’d like to give me thanks for the complement I gotten for my art, even though I get easily embarrassed by flattery. Especially from family, since I feel they’re just being biased towards me and act like I’m the greatest artist of our generation. But it’s good to hear honest feedback, whether it’s constructive praise or criticism, so thanks.

This has been a mentally hard month for me; I feel like my mood has been very unstable, and a lot of the times it’s been especially low. I have a convention on next week, which I hope will distract me and let me get away from it all, as conventions usually do for me. Also I’ve been playing some games such as Pokémon which help take my mind off stuff a little and give me something to look forward to.

This month I’ve continued to have overwhelming worries and fears about politics, and particularly the extremely negative and bitter attitudes of people which is only making everything so much worse. I feel so defeated and crushed when I see how so many people have resorted to maliciously hating each other. I wish I could believe that people don’t always mean to cause harm, but I’m so jaded that I’ve come to see the worst in them and believe that people do bad things out of malice and hate. And I blame these toxic people for turning me from a happy carefree person into a dark and disturbed one. They say that you can only have either love or fear, and I want to choose love, but I’m being forced into fear and hate, and I don’t want to. I want to live, laugh and love.

Highlighted

Hey @Bento, I know what you mean about accepting feedback from family and friends. It can definitely feel as though they are unlikely to give criticism which doesn't help if we are feeling unsure of the quality of our work. Have you ever thought of finding somewhere art related to post your work? You may be able to find somewhere where you are able to get constructive feedback from other artists. Heading to the convention sounds like it is going to be a great adventure for you. You must be so excited! Smiley Happy

It is great that you are conscious of what you are feeling and thinking. When dealing with toxic people, it can be easy to fall into the same behaviours and attitudes as them. Remember that so long as we self-aware, we can pull ourselves back onto the path we want to travel on. Others can influence us and change our direction but ultimately we have the control. I am not saying it is an easy task but I believe in you. You mention wanting to be forced into fear and hate... and instead wanting to live, laugh and love. What would help you move towards this goal? Heart

Highlighted

I wish I had more of a sense of humour more of the time. These days, it feels like so many people promote cynicism and being extremely bleak and depressing to the point where everything feels like it has the colour and joy sucked out of it. I know I can’t smile and laugh all the time, but I’d like to more often. I want to be able to enjoy myself and be carefree more too. I personally think that resorting to hate and cynicism, especially as the very first instinct instead of a last resort, can be very bad and toxic. I found an article on the internet that I haven’t read because it will definitely trigger extremely negative emotions, but I’m worried that if I feel worse I might read it. Nobody has to look at it, but I will leave the link, but you can delete it if you need to. If possible, maybe we can talk about it together. I don’t want to discuss opinions on politics, especially because it has become such a toxic subject that people have forced onto me and made me worry about it to self-destructive levels, but I’d just like to know how to cope with extremely upsetting things like that.

https://toxicfandomsandhatedoms.miraheze.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_Fandom_and_Hatedom

Highlighted

Hey @Bento 

It's great that you've set yourself the goal of being more carefree, and laugh more often.  Laughter is definitely good for us Smiley Happy.  What kind of things do you find funny?  If you can pinpoint that, then maybe doing/watching/listening to more of those things can help.  I personally love watching early Simpson's episodes.  Additionally, avoiding things that trigger you can help lessen the negativity you're exposed to, and help you move towards your goals.  Heart

Highlighted

Hey. I figured now is the perfect time to talk about social isolation with the Coronavirus and everything going on. My feelings about it are very mixed. When it started to really become a problem, I felt overwhelmed and didn’t know how to process it, and I still don’t really know what I’m gonna do. The course I’m doing is on hold until Tafe opens back up, which I have no idea when that’s gonna be, and a lot of events I was looking forward to are being pushed back to several months later, which is too long for me to wait for so it’s hard to look forward to it anymore. There are two types of people right now; the people with positive and light-hearted attitudes about the whole thing who are trying to spread hope and be kind to each other in a time when we need to help each other the most, and then the people with really toxic attitudes, who have gone paranoid and claiming that the world’s “gone crazy”, which makes them feel entitled to be rude and hostile towards everyone. I’ve tried my hardest to be calm and optimistic about things, but every now and then it just gets to the point where it’s hard to keep it up. Every day things are radically changing, it’s mentally draining and it’s become the only thing anyone talks about anymore in my house, to the point where most conversations are so awkward for me. Everything’s so confusing, no one has any idea when it’ll be over, and to be honest, I’m not sure whether or not I want it to be over. The Coronavirus is now the only thing people in the media are focusing on anymore, which is a double edged sword; the advantage is that it’s distracted people from all the issues in the world we had to deal with before this started. If it ends, people will inevitably still go at each other’s throats, just over different reasons. And that’s assuming it’ll be over, because some are saying it’ll be okay, but no doubt others are much more cynical.

Highlighted

Hey @Bento ,

What a thoughtful post.  You hit on something there, and that's the relentlessness of new information.  It's hard to keep up.  I've subsequently restricted myself to 10-15 mins of watching/listening to the news per day as to not get overwhelmed.  Most of us know what we have to do regarding staying indoors etc., as hard as it is.

The unknowing is also a salient point.  These are unprecedented times and we are all trying to learn as we go along.  As such, it is normal to alter between feeling somewhat ok, to becoming overwhelmed.  I think these emotions are going to be normal for a while and it's important to recognise that.  

I'm sorry to hear about your course and the events you were looking forward to.  I'm on the same boat as you in that regard so can empathise.  For a while it felt like there wasn't much to look forward to.  However, I've thrown myself into a few hobbies such as gardening, playing guitar, and reading books that I've been meaning to for years. It doesn't solve the uncertainty but it helps me deal with it.  Are there things you enjoy that you can still do?

Highlighted

Yeah. I’ve been meaning to catch up on some anime I’m in the middle of or have yet to start, since I don’t get to watch much anime and this is a good opportunity to watch some more. Also I’ve got a lot of video games I need to play through, so I’m trying to take care of that. But in terms of productivity, I’ve got several things to do in that field as well. I’ve been drawing, which is something I’ve always been doing for the past few months, but I’ve also gotten back into programming games with Unity, with the help of a book I found. I’d also like to start writing fiction during this time also, I’ve been thinking much more about ideas for a story and it’s very intimidating to return to writing after so long but I want to give it a try.

I hope things are looking better in a month’s time, so much has happened this month alone it feels like things are moving at breakneck speed. I hope that’s a good thing. It’s important to help and be kind to each other out, but that goes for any difficult situation in life. And that’s something that too many people these days seem to forget.

Highlighted

Hey @Bento , 

It's really good to see you here again. I remember how amazing your drawings were, it's awesome that you're able to do more of that at the moment. We would love to see some here if you want to share any, just make sure that any identifying info is cropped out Smiley Happy

I completely agree with you at the breakneck speed of the changes in the last month, I honestly feel like March 2020 seems like it's lasted a year. Given how much has changed, I do feel like people are actually starting to adapt pretty well, all things considered - I love how you're being really proactive in deciding what activities that you want to focus on during this time. Programming games sounds awesome, and from what I've seen of your writing here I think you'd be great at writing fiction. Would you ever consider doing a graphic novel? 

Your words here are so wise:

"I hope things are looking better in a month’s time, so much has happened this month alone it feels like things are moving at breakneck speed. I hope that’s a good thing. It’s important to help and be kind to each other out, but that goes for any difficult situation in life. And that’s something that too many people these days seem to forget"

I think you've said it perfectly. And I think that a lot of us will discover coping skills and resilience that we never knew we had . 

Check out our community activities calendar for April 2020 here