cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: TW: Re: Social Isolation

Thank you. Since I’ve been able to save up more money right now, I’m putting more into my savings for a trip to Japan. I’m not entirely sure if that’s appropriate right now, but I’m still aiming to go to Japan in the future and I want to take this opportunity to save up more for it. I didn’t feel I would be ready to go this year anyway, but I’ll see if I have enough to go next year. It’ll be hard going without conventions for a while; the next one I can go to is scheduled for late August but only if all goes well; but hopefully by September I’ll be able to go to the ones at the end of the year, including one rescheduled to November. But to be honest, I still get really nervous thinking about the end of the year. I wanted to take this year one month at a time but now I’m kinda just having to make it go by as quick as possible until things get better. I’m still trying to make the best of it though, like many others, but once this is over with there will still be other problems in life. However, I’ve been helping myself by listening to an audiobook called ‘Calm the **** Down’ that’s all about accepting things you can’t control and taking care of things you can control. And this virus I think is a perfect example of what we can and can’t control; I don’t think anyone in the world could have controlled the virus and stopped it from breaking out (I don’t know much about how it happened to begin with, but I’m pretty sure since it came out of nowhere, no one was prepared to deal with it) but we can control preventing the spread as much as possible and being responsible and mature about the situation.

Highlighted

Hey @Bento 

So lovely to catch you on here again. I feel like it's been a while since our last chat. I love your plan to go to Japan! I think it is still an appropriate plan because you can always save and then plan your trip when it is safe. Have you been to Japan before? I've heard many good things!

I can really see that you're focusing on the positive which is great. You/the audiobook are/is absolutely right - there are some things we can control, and some things we can't, so we might as well focus on the things that we CAN control. I might have to give this audiobook a listen Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Yeah, it’s good to chat here more. Unfortunately, the problem with being stuck at home with my family is that it’s getting really chaotic because we’ve been cooped up together for too long. There’s no escape from each other, and when we’re forced to be around each other at all times we inevitably get on each other’s nerves which leads to personality clashes. My sister and mother have been getting increasingly irritable, blowing up at each other and making things really loud and disruptive which makes it harder for me to get any work done. At home, I need to work by myself in isolation because if my sisters at home usually she’ll keep asking me to do other things so I don’t have much time to draw or do other things. She’s also really stressing me out about Coronavirus and it makes it hard not to panic. I just feel like we don’t really respect each other’s personal space and don’t give ourselves time to be alone and breathe. I want to stay at someone else’s for a while to get away from it, but I don’t know what the policy on visiting people is right now. I think it’s just one-on-one at a time, but I don’t know if you can visit anyone or just certain people or what. It’s such a confusing mess.

Highlighted

I should probably mention that it’s not quite as bad as I made it out to be; I get along with my family for the most part, and it’s not like it’s become really unbearable being stuck with each other, because I like my family's company as long as we can respect we all need alone time, which I’ve been getting enough of lately. But every now and then we get grumpy and irritable, and I have arguments with my sister every now and then. It doesn’t help that our dogs are very loud and have a tendency to start barking nonstop.

Highlighted

Hey @Bento, it sucks that your family is fighting and that this is having an impact on you. As you mention, it is quite inevitable unfortunately. Disagreeing, arguing and irritability is quite common when any two people are stuck together for a long period of time. The only thing you can really focus on is how you fight and how you respond to the fighting. The fact that you get along with your family most of the time is a really good sign - it shows that you really care for and appreciate each other.

You mentioned that there is a lack of respect for each other's space. Is this something you have talked about with your family members? How would you feel about setting boundaries within your house? The situation we are all in is quite unique at the moment.. some of us may have never spent this much time with our families before! Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Again, I’m sorry if I made it sound worse than it actually is. We’re not fighting all the time, most of the time we’re getting along fine. There are plenty of times where we bicker over little things, but it’s nothing serious and I’m pretty sure that’s standard for families. However, there have been several instances in the past where there have been very hostile fights. But for the most part, the three of us are getting along fine, so don’t worry about me.

Highlighted

Heya @Bento , it's nice to see you around here again - just catching up on the last few days worth of posts Smiley Happy 

I think a trip to Japan sounds like a perfect goal to have - I know for me, planning for the future is a really big part of what's helping me stay calm and motivated at the moment. I have been spending some time both reflecting on trips I've been lucky to take in the past, and also thinking about things I'd love to do in the future. I was lucky enough to go to Japan a bit over 3 years ago, and it was truly one of my favourite holidays of all time. It is such an incredibly beautiful country with such a rich and diverse culture, and with your love of art I suspect you would really love it! 

We went in autumn which was so beautiful, but I would really love to see cherry blossom season too one day. 

2 Weeks in Japan Itinerary: 2020 Complete Guide for First-Timers

I think there's a lot of families that are experiencing increased conflict at the moment - it's such a huge adjustment to make having more people at home at the same time, possibly also working from home, at the same time that a lot of us are facing so many other financial and emotional pressure points. 

If you're managing to mostly get along fine, it sounds like you're doing really well! 

How are you doing today? 

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Check out our community activities calendar for June 2020 here
Highlighted

Hello again to everyone, sorry I haven’t replied for a few days. I don’t want anyone to worry about me, I’m fine and everything’s pretty calm and happy at home as usual. However, the last 24 hours or so I’ve been worrying a bit more, because even though it’s only been a month I’m starting to doubt if the virus will go away, because it feels hard to imagine life after this when we can go back to normal... I say normal, but for me at least, life was never “normal” anyway; I joke that I lost the chance to have a normal life ages ago, but of course there’s some truth to that. I don’t really have friends I get to hang out with, the closest I have is my sister, my older cousin, and some people I keep in touch with online, but can’t meet up with cos they’re either in another country or too busy. And before the whole quarantine stuff I was struggling with other problems. For the past several years there has always been drama and negativity in the media, and I’ve been just done with the bitterness and the hate for a long time now, so ironically I have to wonder if the virus is a blessing in disguise? I feel horrible for saying that because of all the lives lost, but I kinda feel like we also need this to have a break from other fears and learn about being more grateful for what we had. Of course I have a problem where I never know what I have until it’s gone, and that lesson never really seems to set in for me. And of course it’s extremely exhausting to hear the news on Covid-19 when it almost always seems like doom and gloom, and I know there are people with very cynical attitudes, but we can’t help it if those people choose to live their lives in bitterness and push away any kind of optimism. I heard the testing for the vaccine is currently underway, is that true? I hope until August is enough time for things to get better, but I’m trying to make the most of the time I have now.

Highlighted

Hi @Bento, thanks for filling us in and letting us know that you are okay. From what you have mentioned, it sounds like you are feeling a bit mixed about COVID-19.. you think it has given you time to pause and be grateful but you are also worried about life after COVID-19. Is that right? You mentioned some people that you chat to.. have you still been able to chat to them during quarantine? Smiley Happy

You are definitely right in that it can be difficult to watch the news at the moment. I don't watch the news so I can't be sure but whenever there is a virus, they generally try to produce a vaccine if possible. You mention that you are trying to make the most of the time you have now.. what does that look like for you?

Highlighted

I’m sorry to not answer the question right now, but I just need to tell someone that I’m losing optimism right now. Lately I’ve been doubting if there can be an end to the pandemic at all, because it feels like bad things lately never end. Everything I had to look forward to in 2020 and beyond is being crushed one by one. I might have to withdraw from my art course because I can’t keep up with the work online and it’s not like there’s any point to having a certificate now if I can’t do anything with it. Not only can I not go to any conventions or other things that give me something to look forward to throughout the year, but it’s also looking like I’ll never get to see Japan or anywhere else in the world. I’m 21 years old, and it feels like my life is over. I dread having to wait for eight long, hard and miserable months. I feel like we’re in prison for doing nothing wrong. And I can’t just wait for next year either, because that’s not looking very bright for me either. I think that the virus may have ruined all my hopes and dreams for life. I haven’t been truly happy for years now, I can’t remember what it’s like to be carefree. All I want is to just live in the past where I can be happy forever.