cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voices

Hi

so I've recently started hearing voices that freaks the hell out of me. Its more prominent at night time but i can hear them during the day to. 

Does any one have any ideas what i can do to stop it or make it more bearable, at the moment its really effecting my sleep. 

somebody help me please I'm really scared. 

Re: voices

Hey @brewtime, I'm sorry that you're having to deal with such a distressing sitaution. Having sleep issues alone can be very difficult, so I can't imagine what it's like with the added aspect of the voices.

First of all I think you should have a look at this story from another person whose had a very similar experience to what you're going through. Seeing how they handled it might be helpful in finding some solutions to what you're facing.

Have you talked to anyone about what you've been experiencing? I would definitely recommend that you have a talk with a health professional like your doctor, a counselor or a psychologist. They could guide you to resources, techniques or possibly medications that could held you deal with the voices.

I hope some of what I've said is helpful Smiley Happy

@brewtime I'm sorry your hearing voices, as a voice hearer I understand how scary it must be for you.

I have found a few things that help me with my voices. Listening to music, going for a walk/run talking to someone, reading or something distracting like tv can help. It might not take the voices away but if can help drown them out.

As @Chessca_H said it would be really helpful to see your doctor or a psychiatrist about the voices. Medication and therapy really does help. I'm on meds that drastically reduce my voices, I used to have them every day, but now I only get them when I'm stressed.

Hang in there mate
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Hey @brewtime

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. I haven't experienced it myself so I can only imagine how confusing and distressing it must be to start hearing voices. 

As @redhead and @Chessca_H both suggested, I think it would be really important to talk to your doctor about what you're going through. They may refer you to a psychologist and/or psychiatrist who can help you work through it. Remember that you're not alone in this, and there is support out there for you. If you feel up to it i'd also recommend checking out the story @Chessca_H posted about a young person who heard voices too. 

Hang in there and feel free to let us know how you go. 

@brewtime Hey! 

I'm going to reiterate what everyone else has said here about talking to a professional. A good start is your GP, and I get how hard it is, so maybe think about the doctor you have seen regularly or over the course of a little while, not a brand new person cause  that can be pretty damn scary when you're first opening up about stuff.  

I've got a small number of mental health issues and I hear voices when during particularly bad times, so I do know how it feels. The first time or when they are fairly new it is terrifying. 

You are certainly not alone. If you're not sure about going to your GP just yet, maybe think about discussing it with eheadspace or KHL? I know I just said it's scary talking to a new person about this sort of thing but you can acess their services online, so its much less daunting. And you know what? eheadspace can actually HELP you set up an appointment with your doctor, they are really helpful with that sort of thing. So if you can't talk to your doctor just yet thats ok, but I really urge you to at least get in contact with eheadspace. Thinking of you mate, you're not alone. 

Links to both services. 

eheadspace

Kids Helpline

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@redhead @j95 @Chessca_H @benjamin_ have all made really great suggestions. Please let us know if you try any of them and if they help at all

Thinking of you, stay strong!

@brewtime another thing that helped me was joining a hearing voices group. There are tons around the country (part of the hearing voices network). It might be helpful to see if there us one in your area. I know it could be daunting but I'm pretty sure they would be as helpful and as friendly as the one I went to.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

hey @brewtime

It can be really scary, to have auditory hallucinations. Or, hearing voices. The advice you've been given so far is solid. Try and see someone as soon as you can so you can get some piece of mind and relief.

Here is a story about a young man dealing with voices and what he did to cope. I hope you like it.

Please keep us updated. Smiley Happy

Thanks everybody, @redhead there some really good pointers. I will definetly talk to my doctor about the voices. 

I'm going to try the distraction techniques especially listening to music seems to help. 

@brewtime

I hope talking to the doctor works out well for you Smiley Happy

Good to hear music helps. Keep us updated. I hope you feel better soon Smiley Happy