Our Guide To: Stretching
This guide is a friendly reminder to stretch, and it comes from someone who often forgets.
Of course, moving your body is super important, but if I’m honest, it hasn’t been easy for me to stay fit whilst working from home - and I know I’m not alone. Keeping up a regular exercise routine is a challenge for many but there are other ways of checking in with your body and mind!
Stretching can be a really relaxing way to get your body moving and feel good - all in the comfort of your own home. Some of the known benefits are:
- Stress relief
- Prevent injuries
- Increase blood flow to muscles
- Improve posture
Whether you’re working/studying for long hours or need extra breaks throughout the day to manage stress, these tips and resources will help you get stretching:
- This student wellbeing site has five stretches for you to try with simple instructions and visual cues.
- Build stretching into another habit/routine in your day. For example, you might decide to try during your work breaks, before and after sleeping or after a shower.
- Try a youtube tutorial, app or online class.
- Always consider your individual health needs when trying any new exercise.
- Remember to take deep breaths and stop if it hurts.
- Stretch both sides
If you want to continue reading about ways to manage stress check out our collection on Ways to Relax.