Mod

Re: [CHAT] Valentine's, Schmalentine's

I suppose intimacy can be both physical, emotional and verbal. 

Speaking of intimacy and other kinds of other attractions, Do you think that Valentine's Day is unfair to those who love in different ways? For example asexuals and aromatics?

Builder

Well it's past 10pm which means the end of the GR session, but it doesn't mean it's the end of conversation Smiley Happy Please do keep answering our last question or just contribute to the discussion!

Goodnight everyone Smiley Happy!!

Mod

Whoops, sorry about that! My wifi dropped out Smiley Tongue Anyway, this was an excellent chat!

Just to answer my own question (because I've literally been waiting the entire night for this Smiley Tongue) as an asexual and aromatic, as it happens, I find it very irritating how focused everyone is on love and boy/girl/whatevs-friends and needing to have them because it's just, no? I don't want or feel that? So it is a bit unfair in the way the focus is primarily on the things that I don't feel. Of course, I have friendships and that but valentine's day doesn't really have a focus on that (unless it does and I don't know... because I don't Smiley Tongue) but what everyone has discussed, especially with the improving v-day question, it looks like the holiday can be improved for the better Smiley Happy

AND now, good night! Smiley Very Happy
Builder

Do you think that Valentine's Day is unfair to those who love in different ways? For example asexuals and aromatics?

To belatedly answer your question @N1ghtW1ng, I do think that Valentine's day is super unfair for aces and aros, and kind of to a lesser extent the LGBT+ community as a whole. It seems to be very focused on traditional het relationships and gender roles, but I think this'll change over time Smiley Happy

Community Manager

@roseisnotaplant what do you reckon an inclusive Valentine day might look like?

Highlighted
Builder

Hmm @Ben-RO. I think...

• Less of a focus on romantic love and more of a focus on things like friendship
  • I see a lot of like 'him and her' stuff, so like altering that to be inclusive of like all sorts of people and relationships
  • Removing stereotypes (like gender stereotypes and the expectations that come with them etc)
  • Probably some other things, it's the end of a long day and I can't really think Smiley Tongue

I'm not sure how we get there though.

Super frequent scribe

this is the best option.

Super frequent scribe

this is the most serious case.

Super frequent scribe

this is most impotent  things.

Contributor

I'm honestly not sure why we have a Valentine's Day. Shouldn't it be every day that we value the people in our relationships? It's also really awkward when I've been asked out (by jerk heads) and had to really awkwardly dis them. You're also under a lot of pressure to ask someone else out (espesh for all the guys out there). I guess to me Valentine's Day is kinda boring. And you get all these really sappy notes in your locker that you just wanna burn. Ahhhh good old life. I guess cheaper chocolate is always a good thing tho!
Top High Fived Authors
User High Fives Count