Builder

Re: [Chat] Motivation and goals

@lokifish I generally don't stress about them but now that I've failed unit 1 english I have to get through the next three units or else I have to redo the subject and don't graduate!

Where do you think your motivation came from? Did you motivation waiver?

I don't know where my motivation came from and that's a problem because I find it hard to get motivation so if I knew how to get it I would be doing much better in school. I don't know what you mean by waiver though.
Mod

Thanks @tomo_13! It has definitely motivated me to keep writing. I've got a few ideas for other novels but I haven't started them yet. Uni has been getting in the way. But I intend to take part in NaNo again this year, so we'll see...

Writing is definitely something I'm interested in. I used to write all the time until I lost confidence for a while. It's felt great to get back into it. Smiley Very Happy 

My freedom is an agreement with myself. It's an acceptance and love for who I am that isn't dependent on performance or the will of other people - Renee Yohe
Mod

As @lokifish said - helping other people is a big motivator. I do have some sort of internal motivation to do really well at Uni and when I was in VCE although I'm not really sure where it comes from beyond wanting to get into things later down the track and the satisfaction you get from doing well on assignments. Having other people around you going through the same things is also a huge motivator - solidarity Smiley Happy

My motivation does waver - that's what deadlines are for I suppose Smiley Wink

@Ben-RO love that graph! They showed it to us in first year psychology! Unfortunately most of the time I think I am in both ends of the distress at simultaneously.....not sure how that works.
Builder

For me a lot of my motivation comes from within myself. I know that with my project I wanted to finish it so it can help other people, but I also felt something *within* to get it done, and I fell that a lot with a lot of projects and tasks I do.
Mod

@Alison5 that's a great point about differentiating motivation from obsession. Do you think there's such a thing as too much motivation?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Builder

Right, I get it now. My motivation waivers constantly. Some days I'll sit in class staring out the window and some I'll sit there the whole time and focus. That's something I need to work on.
Builder

That is so good to hear @letitgo
Good luck for this years NaNo
Mod

@tomo_13 can definitely relate - I often wonder where the motivation within really comes from/what drives it Smiley Happy
Builder

@May_ In a weird way it may come from external sources (i.e. friends, parents, teachers, society even!) and we want to impress them, but we just don't realise it??
Mod

@May_ I tend to be at both ends simultaneously too. I think if we become so anxious and burn ourselves out then it can turn into apathy, because we're just so exhausted

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray, when you're on the Titanic, you load the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg.
Top High Fived Authors