cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Ask a Pro Live: Navigating the Mental Health System October 2019

@WheresMySquishy that's awful Smiley Sad I can't imagine how frustrating that was! I hope they managed to work it out?

@Jess1-RO I agree that by talking about mental health, we increasingly normalise the discussion, and help people feel more comfortable and less afraid of asking for help Heart Two things I wish we, as a society, said more, is that's it's okay not being okay, and that you don;t have to hit rock bottom before you get help! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Getting Real chat to do with Dating Anxiety on Monday the 20th of January at 7:30pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

@Jess1-RO  I totally agree with you and can understand a lot of people's concerns. My own family did not believe that I needed to see a psychologist or psychiatrist, and would say things to me like 'why can't you just get over your issues?', 'why can't you just enjoy life' or 'what do you have to be depressed about?'. I didn't have much support from friends either, because they would say things like I was making up my struggles to get attention.

Absolutely love those two wishes @ecla34 Heart

"Two things I wish we, as a society, said more, is that's it's okay not being okay, and that you don;t have to hit rock bottom before you get help!"   Such important messages! 

Check out our community activities calendar here

@WheresMySquishy that's so so wrong what some of your friends and family said to you Smiley Sad It's beyond unfair of them to act as if you're choosing to feel a certain way or are making things up for attention! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're having a Getting Real chat to do with Dating Anxiety on Monday the 20th of January at 7:30pm AEDT! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Animated GIF

@Jess1-RO Agreed! Building on mental health awareness is a shared responsibility and the more people who speak up the more commonplace it will become to reach out when we're having a tough time Heart 

We are talking navigating the mental health system tonight and we've had some great questions. This next question is one I've often asked myself so I'd love to hear your thoughts on this Jess. 

How I can receive more affordable support once my mental health care plan is finished up?

There are definitely still a lot of misconceptions still out there, which can really hurt when you hear stigmatising language @WheresMySquishy Heart

This is where I feel a community like ReachOut is so valuable, where there is a space that no matter what you are feeling, you are safe and understood here Heart And where the community is free from stimatising language

@ecla34  I think that mishap was mostly caused by a lack of communication and training between the people involved. It was a long time ago, but I think one of my family members ended up having to call the practice and sort it out. I can't really remember what happened after that, but it was all worked out in the end. Smiley Happy

@Jess1-RO  Definitely! I think peer support and knowing other people with lived experience is so important. Smiley Happy

This is such a great question!

How I can receive more affordable support once my mental health care plan is finished up?

I am just going to take this question one step further back first: What is a Mental Health Care Plan/Treatment plan and what does it mean?

For those who may be new to navigating the mental health system, a Mental Health Treatment Plan/Care Plan is something you work collaboratively with your GP to develop. If you are eligible for a Mental Health Treatment Plan, you may be able to access up to 10 individual appointments in a year with a mental health professional at a subsidised rate, and 10 group sessions.

Mental health professionals may set their own rates, so depending on who you see, some or all of the appointment is covered by government subsidy under medicare. For those looking to access mental health care plans, your GP is the best starting point- they can help you with the Treatment Plan and refer you to a mental health professional.

Nervous Celebrity Big Brother GIF

So you have a Mental Health Care Plan, but what happens after 10 sessions? Where can you find affordable mental health support?

We know that often young people need more than 10 sessions. So, where can you go? Depending on the services you are accessing, and what support you need you may be able to find more affordable appointments through headspace centers, lifeline centers, outreach community teams, bulk billing mental health clinics, drop in centers, youth centers, recovery colleges, schools, universities, online peer support or counselling services... there are a lot of avenues (sometimes so many it can be overwhelming!).

One of the complicating aspects of navigating the mental health system is that access is often dependent on the area you live in, and each service has a specific set of criteria. So, it can be helpful to see what is in your local area and weigh up your options! WayAhead have a directory of mental health services, as do Health Direct that can help you find services near you. It may mean doing some research to find something that works for you, or accessing a range of services in conjunction!

Also welcome to @drpenguin who I can see is following this discussion too!