cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Procrastination

Anyone have any good tips or advice on overcoming procrastination? It's seriously a problem for me when I have all these assignments that are due soon, work to catch up on, tests to study for...ugh!

Re: Procrastination

Something that helped me to not procrastinate as much was going to uni early and getting something done before class - if I had a 9am lecture, I'd try to get there by 8:30 and do half an hour of stuff, if my first lecture was 11am I'd try to get there by 10. Staying later after class was sometimes useful too.

Even that wasn't foolproof, because I'd often avoid the subject that I should've been working on and worked on a different one instead Smiley Tongue But I work better in the mornings and never want to do anything but slack off after getting home, so it helped a bit.

Procrastination is seriously my enemy too Cassie.

If I really need to get something done, I try and set myself challenges to stay on task.

Eg. Keep facebook/gmail/twitter closed for one hour.
Get the essay outline written by 10am.

Also, I try and break things up into hour-by-hour time frames, including breaks and stretches, cups of tea etc, so that I know that I will have an opportunity to give my brain a rest in 20 minutes or whatever, and until then, I have got a set task to do.

Visual cues are also helpful. I sometimes write little signs like "Stop! Stay on task!" and stick them on my computer so I have a constant reminder. Or more positively, you could try ones like "Keep going!" or write or put pictures to remind you of your goals, why the topic is useful, interesting or necessary, or pictures of things you can reward yourself with when you're done.

I've gotten into a habit of writing daily planners, they help a lot! Like Georgie, I break things up into 1 hour slots. I also try to keep anything that might distract me out of the way, and cut off my internet if I'm not using it. 

The problem I have with planners, though, is that sometimes the planning itself is a form of procrastination...

Highlighted

@Magga - So true!

I reckon even scheduling in planning time is a good idea, so you're putting a time limit on how long you can spend planning your time (i.e. procrastinating)!

Ha ha... I know what you mean. Sometimes I think I spend more time planning what I am going to do than actually doing! 

I definitely agree with most of these things. I've tried planning/to-do lists but they're only good for general planning. I don't do well with specific time limits, etc myself. But different approaches work for different people. 
I've found it most useful to do what Magga suggested about studying at the uni. I've found (esp. since I'm doing distance study) that being at the uni puts me into a different mindset and I find it easier to concentrate on studying than if I'm at home. 

My psych also suggested having something to signify that I'm studying such as a certain piece of clothing or whatever. I'm yet to try this though.

Georgie wrote:

If I really need to get something done, I try and set myself challenges to stay on task.

Eg. Keep facebook/gmail/twitter closed for one hour.
Get the essay outline written by 10am.

Also, I try and break things up into hour-by-hour time frames, including breaks and stretches, cups of tea etc, so that I know that I will have an opportunity to give my brain a rest in 20 minutes or whatever, and until then, I have got a set task to do.

Visual cues are also helpful. I sometimes write little signs like "Stop! Stay on task!" and stick them on my computer so I have a constant reminder. Or more positively, you could try ones like "Keep going!" or write or put pictures to remind you of your goals, why the topic is useful, interesting or necessary, or pictures of things you can reward yourself with when you're done.

Ooh, these look interesting. I'm going to borrow your ideas and trial them. Smiley Happy 

@Georgie - good idea! I'll keep that in mind next time I'm planning.

@lightuptheworld - I think it was Supersky who suggested that. But I agree, it's a good idea Smiley Happy

Georgie wrote:

Me too!!  Smiley Sad

I write 1 paragraph @ a time, along with breaks for Miso and tea! Smiley Happy