cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tennis anyone?

What do you do if you have a bad game of tennis or pretty much any sport? Lately I've been playing well under my usual level of game and I feel really down because I'm not satisfied with my level of play. I've been getting angry at the smallest of things and everyone around me. I have a feeling it'll get worse and I don't know what to do. I want to stop feeling sorry for myself because I'm playing so bad.

Re: tennis anyone?

Hey @mark0154 

Having really crappy matches can really bum you out - I know that feel Smiley Sad When it comes to not feeling you're playing your best, you can always take a step back and breathe for awhile. Over-exerting yourself to succeed and getting increasingly agitated would be digging yourself a bigger hole. 

You've shown us that you're pretty self-aware about how you're feeling and doing with tennis. Is there anything in particular that you think has been bothering you about how you play? Do you think that there's a coach, friend, or some random who's ace at tennis who could teach you some pointers? 

If you're finding yourself getting really angry, try out some relaxation training or building up better coping skills. There's also Smiling Mind, which is a great meditation app that helps you plan out breathing techniques when you're feeling bad. Alternatively, I challenge you to say the word 'Bubbles' while angry Smiley Tongue

Hope this helps and let us know how you go!

Hey there @mark0154

When I play a bad game, I feel pretty bad. But then I remember that it doesn't really matter. I put in an effort and that is the important part.
Do you have practise sessions? Try to think of it more as a chance to further your skills rather than you're playing bad. The way you think about it can greatly affect how you feel and act so having a positive outlook on the situation will help you elevate your mood.

If you feel yourself getting irritated by everyone, excuse yourself and get some private time. Try to reflect on what it was that triggered the anger, whether it was a particular event, behaviour or if it was just being around people in general. It might sound silly, but remember your breathing. It's something your automatically do but when you feel the anger coming focus on your breathing. Taking in deep breaths and then releasing them. It's good if you can try to count for three and release for three but even if you can't manage holding those breaths, do whatever you feel comfortable with. Focusing on your breathing will provide a distraction and, hopefully, calm you down. If it doesn't calm you down, get out of there. Seriously, go to another room, your own room, stick in ear/headphones and play music, watch a movie or show, anything that you can do to distract yourself. Read, nap, write or draw, all of these things gives you something to do, and can provide a release for the anger.

Let us know how you go Smiley Happy
N1ghtW1ng

@mark0154 I think if I've been playing a few bad games of basketball I usually try and get some practice in inbetween games... and then I try to do something that will put me in a good mood before the game! Like seeing my friends and hanging out. It can make a big difference going into a game laughing and having a good time than going in feeling nervious and stressed.

lanejane

@mark0154 one thing i always do before a race is picturing myself win, or at the finish line. This helps me get into the zone right before i start, this could help you too. It's worth a try.

Good luck with your tennis games.

Hey @mark0154 , hope you feel a bit a better about you next tennis game!

I teach Martial Arts to a whole range of different people and sometimes I find that I feel a bit burn out after a lesson doesn't go to plan, which makes me dread the next lesson and the next etc. It can really make you question your ablity and sometimes I think it can make you forget how to 'enjoy' the actual sport.

The thing that works best for me is taking a step back. By that, I don't mean you need to have to stop training or anything, but give yourself a little bit of distance from whatever is upsetting / frustrating you about your sporting experience and allowing yourself to be refreshed. For me that normally means stepping back from my role as an Instructor and letting some of my fellow Instructors do a bit more around the place while I focus on being a student for a few lessons. Normally after a few lessons as a student I'm super keen to get back into instructing with all new ideas. Perhaps you could try having a few 'for fun' matches with your friends to relax a little bit.

I try not to pay attention to it, but I hope that next time I will play much better!

Oh, man, I really understand you. I have a similar attitude to absolutely everything that happens in my life. I try to achieve the maximum result and become very angry when I do not succeed. Sometimes I get so nervous that I have to take sedative pills. If I'm not mistaken, this is called maximalism in psychology. This is a very strange "disease" that really prevents me from living very much. I recently washed my sneakers and was annoyed that I couldn't wash them completely, so I had to spend a huge amount of time trying to find an article which describes in detail how to perfectly wash your sneakers. Who knows if this is being treated?

Hey @bismarc123 its so tough when we put expectations on ourselves and find it hard to manage when we don't meet them. I think a lot of us identify with that feeling of "being our own worst critique," is this something you feel is true for you too?

I'm sorry to hear that this prevents you from living very much, what are some things that help you keep going?

I understand that if you're taking sedative pills you might have a GP already, would you feel comfortable chatting to them about the impact this is having on you?