cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[CHAT] Pets & other ways to feel good

As a pet owner, I can tell you that coming home to a happy pet can do wonders for your happiness and wellbeing. I know heaps of other pet owners who say the same thing – and it turns out that it’s not just us who think so.

dog1

People have actually studied this, and pets have been shown to have a positive effect on our wellbeing! So what exactly is wellbeing? Put simply, wellbeing can be described as a general sense of comfort and happiness. People talk about having a ‘sense of wellbeing’, often after doing some activity that is meant to increase wellbeing.

dog2

Of course, there are all sorts of other things that can improve wellbeing as well as pets, including:

☮ being active/sit less

☮ connect to others (spend time on your relationships)

☮ being creative

☮ learning something new

☮ meditation

☮ be curious: pay attention to what you’re sensing, feeling, thinking

☮ laugh

☮ prioritize time out (holidays, days off, fun times)

☮ fins ways to shorten your commute (to work/school/TAFE/uni etc)

☮ eat breakfast

☮ be curious

☮ be generous: help/give to others

and relaxation.

dog3

If you don’t have a pet, it might be a good idea to try out some of the things I just listed - or come up with your own - notice what makes you feel good, it’s important to take care of yourself!

dog4

In this Monday’s Getting Real session we’ll be discussing wellbeing boosters, things that make us feel happy and more at peace with the world. Having a pet is just one of the many different ways to increase your sense of wellbeing, and we’ll try to cover as many of these as we can!

dog5

Join us at 8pm AEST right here to chat about wellbeing, as well as the kinds of things you do to keep yourself feeing great.  Want to get a headstart on the conversation? Check out this factsheet on improving your wellbeing! 

Re: [CHAT] Pets & other ways to feel good

Hey Everyone, welcome to tonight’s Getting Real Session!

Tonight @Magga and I will be talking about all things that make you feel those warm fuzzies and give you a sense of wellbeing, as well as ways to improve it when you're feeling a bit down.  

As we want everyone involved in tonight sesh to have a fun, positive experience, it would be great if you could all give the forum guidlines a quick look and keep them in mind. If at any point during tonight's session you feel upset or not right I encourage you to take a look at the emergency help tab in the top right hand corner.

Well lets get started with the first question!

One of the greatest ways of increasing your wellbeing is by spending some time with your pets (or animals in general). Tell us a little bit about your favourite creatures in your life (yours, your friend’s, that one you see every morning down the road etc)

Hello everyone! Smiley Happy

I FINALLY MADE IT TO A GETTING REAL SESSION AND I'M SO EXCITED WOO Smiley Very Happy

Yaaaaaaaay @lokifish !! 

Wooo! Nice one lokifish! Smiley Happy

I have a dog called Benji. He's a border collie, about 2 years old, and he has heaps of energy! Lots of fun to play with.

I've got two little furballs (or... dogs as they're better known Smiley Tongue) called Nellie and Scout. They drive me up the wall sometimes, but they're awesome Smiley Very Happy

Anyone else have any pets? Smiley Happy

Hey guys!!

One of the greatest ways of increasing your wellbeing is by spending some time with your pets (or animals in general). Tell us a little bit about your favourite creatures in your life (yours, your friend’s, that one you see every morning down the road etc)

My housemate Kieran has a bearded dragon (type of lizard) his name is Crickey. He has also got a dog named Bailee that I often call my own haha, but I am in the process of adopting a beautiful dog named kai from the pound!
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Woohoo @lokifish Smiley Very Happy

Hi everyone Smiley Happy

My cat is my favourite creature in my life! She is a chocolate-coloured burmese and is very cute (Except when she tries to bite/scratch me haha). I would upload a photo but I'm not on the right computer. Cuddling her when she's in a good mood definitely makes me happy Smiley Happy

haha they sound very cute! Must be fun to play with.