cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [GR] - Empathy! - 29 July

@WheresMySquishy I reckon your right, I love to write and I consider myself a pretty empathetic person, I think you have to be when writing fiction. We have quite a few writers here on the forums, maybe that's why we're quite an empathetic bunch haha!

I've been reading a book called The Empath's Survival Guide recently, which talks a lot about how to get by in the world when you're highly sensitive to other people's emotions. It made me realise that I definitely take on a lot of what other people feel. 

@MisoBear that's such an amazingly relevant gif i'm laughing so hard! Smiley Very Happy Smiley LOL
This comment: Listening with both my ears and heart open. Summarises empathy so beautifully and succinctly Heart, really caring for people and listening to them is at the heart of being empathetic Heart

hello @scared01 ! Smiley Very Happy

What does empathy mean to you? How or when did you learn to be empathetic?

To me empathy means putting yourself in someones shoes and really considering how their experiences/emotions look like to them. 
@WheresMySquishy that's so interesting that writing has helped you see through other people's eyes, growing up I found that by reading books and identifying with characters i loved helped me consider different perspectives and think about how the world looks to different people. 

The gif is actually amazing, gotta love Bob's Burgers!

@queenP @Hozzles @Eden1717 @Bananatime04 @Tiny_leaf @saltwaterdreamtime @Brendos94 would you be interested in joining in too
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@MisoBear  That sounds like a good read! I feel like because I have a greater sense of empathy, it can sometimes get me into conflict with people and cause problems for me. For example, it's hard for me to leave my family members who need care alone and I tend to put their needs before mine. I just can't bear the thought of them needing someone to help and not being able to help themselves if I'm gone.

@MisoBear also a really interesting reflection on being less empathetic when wrapped in your own world, that's something i've noticed about myself to this day. If i'm not doing too well mentally or am stressed I don't look outwards as much and notice what other people are experiencing. I really try to keep a note of that

@WheresMySquishy that sounds really rough, to be caught between things you need to do and wanting to be there constantly for the people you love Heart empathy definitely can hurt a bit in some ways, can't it? Smiley Sad

@WheresMySquishy I can definitely relate to that! I can tell from the forums that you're a really caring person and you take on a lot of emotional labour. It can be such a wonderful thing but sometimes our empathy can really drain us!

i can relate to that too @WheresMySquishy being a carer myself. its abit like being torn between really needing a break but also not wanting to leave them in case they need your help
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@ecla34 totally, it's almost like you forget to see the light at the tunnel, or can't see the forest for the trees...or some other metaphor lol. I can definitely feel myself becoming a bit selfish when I'm not doing so great mentally, but actually I try to remind myself that focusing on myself in a positive self-care way and being empathetic to myself is often be essential for my mental health!

Time for the next set of questions! Smiley Very Happy

Remember a time when someone was empathetic towards you. How did it make you feel? Was it helpful?

Democratic Meme Factory support empathy lovespeech imwithyou GIF