cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:06 PM

What are some bad habits you can get into?

Definitely a big one for me is caffiene too close to bedtime. Lovvve coffee and tea. But have learned the hard way that if i have one any time after 5pm, there's no way I'll be getting to bed before 2am.

Another bad one (for me at least) is leaving the phone to close to my bed, or not putting it on silent. If i hear it buzz in the night, i'll immediately want to check it 😛

I actually discovered do not disturb mode and it's pretty awesome. ALthough you have to be careful cause if you set it wrong it won't let your alarm go off! Maaaay have been late to RO once or twice because my alarm didn't go off and i kept on sleeping 😛

I think another bad habit might be having too much clutter in your sleeping space. It's weird but for me, if my bedroom is full of crap like laundry i haven't put away, i generally don't sleep as well.

j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:08 PM

I'm the same!! If my room is too messy I can't sleep I actually have to tidy it up before I go to bed or I just don't sleep
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:03 PM

I accidentally put a cat purring on the relax melodies app and I can't get it go away my dogs are so confused and I'll probably fall asleep soon or something.

Bad habits could be:

- Going to sleep too late
- Watching TV before bed
- eating late at night
And I can't think of any more right now but I'm add them
ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:03 PM

• Using a phone or tablet or laptop in bed with the slights off
  • Staying up later and later each night
  • Snoozing alarms
  • Taking long naps
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:54 PM

There is a few that are similar, is the icon a picture of the moon and some trees or something? @Ben-RO cause that's the right one 🙂
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:56 PM

@j95 oops. Okay, uninstalling again 😛 will look harder after Gr hehe
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:59 PM

@Ben-RO

image.png

It's the first one! 

Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:02 PM

Nice one, TY @j95 Also you need to charge your phone! 😛

originally posted on 14-03-2016 9:05 PM

• Electronic use
  • 'Flooding' your brain with thoughts ans worries
  • Caffeine before bed
ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:50 PM

I have always been told you are better off not laying in bed awake. That actually you should get up and do other things until you feel drowsy, then try going back to bed.

For me, I do a full body relaxation and that sometimes puts me to sleep.
|| Life runs in cycles, the wheel never stops turning, no matter how dark the night morning comes, no matter how cold the winter, spring comes. When you feel despair know that the wheel is turning, joy will come. ||
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:51 PM

I have also heard that you shouldn't stay in bed and try to sleep but you also shouldn't do things that will stimulate your brain like watching tv or looking at your phone
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:36 PM

I used to be a bit the same @stonepixie in terms of not being able to sleep due to ptsd, it still happens but not as often as it used to, but yeah my brain would literally be like nope nope nope no sleep for you tonight ha ha
stonepixie
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:43 PM

Yeah, it's not pleasant at all @j95. I'm usually pretty good with it. But just recently had a major trigger.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:49 PM

I feel as though I should be an expert at this by now. I know what to do, it is just a matter of putting it into practice.

So what has got me through countless of sleepless nights is to just lay in bed with my eyes closed. If I become restless, I relocate to another room until I have calmed down. When relocating, just do a mindless activity, don't turn on the tv or anything that will stimulate the brain.

So when feeling restful, go back to bed.

I know it sounds crazy, but it actually works. Just don't look at the time at all. And if you need to have a nap, a quick one in the afternoon is the way to go.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:46 PM

I'm not sure how to answer this question

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:45 PM

Hey guys, sorry to do this but I've got a headache and think I need to wind down so I can try and get some good quality sleep tonight. Really great discussion and lovinn all your responses! I'll chat to you all later. x

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:50 PM

Thanks for popping by @Stealth_ninja

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:49 PM

Have a good @Stealth_ninja!

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:48 PM

hope your head feels better soon @Stealth_ninja, sleep well

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:46 PM

No worries homie! See you on the flip side @Stealth_ninja

j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:31 PM

What can be some barriers in getting a good nights sleep?

- The brain being over stimulated by noise, light, movement around you. 

- Stress

- Being too hot or too cold (think about those hot summer nights, nobody ever gets much sleep during those do they?) 

- Uncomfortable bed 

- Other things like being sick, hungry 

Bay52VU
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:29 PM

Catchup time.

1. How much sleep did you get last night? How did this make you feel?

I got about 6 hours. Felt alright because it's Monday - by the time Friday comes around it might be pretty rough again.

2. What do you think sleep hygiene is?
Not 'contaminating' the sleeping environment/behaviour with "awake stuff".

3. What can be some barriers to getting a good night sleep?

All the things I want to do the night before.

Loud non-droning noises (e.g. dog bark, people talking).

Poor visual environment (lights getting into the room).

Smells getting in (e.g. someone smoking, cooking).

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________
ClCl
Star contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:32 PM

Hiya @Bay52VU 🙂 🙂
j95
Uber contributor

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:19 PM

What do you think sleep hygiene is?

Sleep hygiene is how you sleep and what you to get a good nights sleep and have that continue like a routine. 

originally posted on 14-03-2016 8:18 PM

I'm pretty good with external noises. I've lived near highways and train lines all my life, so the noise doesn't bother me. Birds right outside my window on the other hand, well that is a different story.