cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mental Health Heroes

I LOVE Mental Health Week! And I[m not going to lie - a big reason for that is becasue of the brilliant programs on ABC at this time of the year...

Aside from quality TV, I've been thinking about how other people can be great role models on mental health. One of my best friends is a huge inspiration for me because she's open about her experiences and I've learnt so much from her.

So the question I have for you is - who is your Mental Health Hero?

Re: Mental Health Heroes

Ooooh, I really like this thread. I wasn't aware that there were certain programs on ABC at this time of year. Are there any you can recommend?

As for mental health heroes, I'd say Demi Lovato would be one of mine. And my aunty, because we can talk about both heavy stuff and light stuff, and I view her as a role model in regards to effective communication 

Smiley Happy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Cool thread @StarLord!! And your Aunty sounds like an awesome role model @letitgo!

Not to be annoying or anything but tbh everyone here are my mental health heroes for sharing their experiences so openly, reaching out for support, and supporting others during tough times Smiley Happy 

Thanks, @DruidChild. Cool username, by the way!

I agree, and I think you make a great point that we don't have to be a certain age/status or even mental state in order to be a good mental health role model. What we can do is be honest and open about our struggles and try to support other people, as this community does. 

Great thread! I don't know if I have a specific mental health hero but I really appreciate sportspeople who talk openly about their experiences with depression and anxiety. I feel like people have some expectation that footy players are just big tough lads, and when they talk about mental health it shows that it really doesn't discriminate.

Ooh @StarLord what are some good TV shows I should tune in to?! I'm not sure if I have one particular mental health hero but I guess anyone who is open about it and tries to help others! Smiley Happy

Haha I don't think you're being annoying at all for saying that! That's a really beautiful thing to say Smiley Happy

Thanks for sharing @DruidChild

If you follow this link below, it will take you to the range of shows they put on this week. Take your pick!

http://iview.abc.net.au/collection/423

Hey @letitgo (love your username)

This link will take you to the show list on ivies http://iview.abc.net.au/collection/423

I recommend "Diaries of a Broken Mind". It's got a pretty well known British Youtuber in it and they're young people being pretty frank about their struggles with mental health.

Lena Dunham would also probably be... not so much a hero, but more someone I admire for her honesty about her mental health and general struggles. I like that she includes it/OCD in the plot of Girls, too.