cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with mental health

Hey, last month I've been through a traumatic event and I've been pushing through school ever since it has happened. I just feel like I'm at my limit and feel like breaking down just thinking of school. My PTSD gets triggered so much because there is a lot of guys that stand near me and all the classes are noisy, so I end up getting very close to having a panic attack. I just kinda want a break. I feel as if though going to school tomorrow would just be pushing the limits but I could mainly handle it but I don't think I will be able to handle Friday at all. Do you guys think I should take a break?

Re: Dealing with mental health

Hey @ElephantCushion 

Welcome to ReachOut and thank you for sharing. It sounds like you have had a rough past month. I just want to tell you how courageous you are for speaking up about it and seeking help. It's not easy. 

We always like to alert new users to our community guidelines so please have a read of them here when you get a chance. 

You mentioned you had a traumatic event occur recently. Can I ask - have you sought professional help for this? If not it may be helpful for you to chat to a doctor or mental health practitioner (such as a psychologist, mental health nurse, or mental health social worker) about what is going on for you. A mental health practitioner should be able to help you decide what is best for you at the moment - that is, whether you should take a break from school or not. Speaking to a parent may also be helpful. Booking an appointment with the school counselor (if you have one) may also be a good place to start.

In terms of taking a day off - I think it is OK to take a day off here and there if you think it'll help you. It may be unhealthy if it becomes a pattern, that is, if you continue to take days off. However, I can't really tell you with certainty what would be good for you right now, as I don't know everything about your situation, and so I think a professional opinion would be best Smiley Happy

Just in case you weren't aware - there are free counselling services that may be of use to you. See this page here for more information. All three services offer counselling in the form of over the phone or online chatting. Otherwise, we have heaps of great users who should be able to provide you with some support. 

Thanks again for sharing and reaching out! 

Thank you. I've been talking to a doctor and they've made a mental health plan. i don't know when I'm going to see the psychologist though. I'll try chat to my mother first. We don't really get along so I might talk to the counselor instead.

Hi @ElephantCushion
I'm so sorry to hear that you've been going through this, it sounds really tough Smiley Sad
I'm really glad that you are speaking to your doctor though, and that you have a mental health plan. How does it feel to have that plan now?
Did you end up speaking to a counsellor?
Please keep us updated, we're here for you Heart

hi @ElephantCushion and welcome @TOM-RO and @missep have offered some lovely support. im glad youve spoken to your dr about what has happened and you have a mental health care plan.
did you have a chance to talk to your mum or the counsellor?
would it help to talk about ways to speak with your mother about this?- can i ask if your mum is aware of what happened with your recent traumatic event
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Hi @ElephantCushion, I'm really sorry about your experience. Smiley Sad It can be really hard trying to go to school when you're being triggered and are having these feelings.

I think everyone else's points are really good. I think it's a good idea to weigh up the pros and cons of taking time off from school, perhaps with a psychologist. For example, you wouldn't want to miss out on any important schoolwork. Are there any supportive, understanding teachers you can talk to about this? They might be able to help you keep up to date with your schoolwork and try to minimise your triggers.

I have also heard of some people having distance education due to mental health issues preventing them from attending school regularly. It might not be an option now, but it could be an idea if you feel like you can't attend school more often. However, it would involve leaving your current school, although I have heard that most previous schools accept the students when they want to come back.

Stay strong! Heart