cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: I feel like I am unwanted.

It's always nice to have the reminders pop up - I remember when I was really stressing over uni work and wanted to give up right then, a small reminder popped up and just encouraged me to keep going and that I've got this! Smiley Very Happy and completing mini projects like that is always soooo satisfying! Achievement in the little things always helps me to feel better!

Maybe you should talk to your parents again and see their opinion on it? Do you feel like you want to move out?

Having a fresh start sounds nice, but make sure you are safe and ready! Heart

Highlighted

Hey @sunnygirl606 

That really does sound great, I am gonna try and make it a habit 😄

I am not sure about that, they don’t take time to listen to me much anymore. Mhm of cours,e I have given it a lot of thought on how I want to live during Uni. I think I am ready to move out and start living the life I need right now

Highlighted

I'm glad to hear that you think you're ready Smiley Very Happy Really brave of you to do that Smiley Happy 

What do mean when you say 'start living the life you need right now'? Do you have plans of what you will do?

Highlighted

@StarGirl101 ooh that's cool!

I have a neurological condition so honestly the more people who get into the field the better off I am.

My family didn't believe how much pain I was in until I needed to get a walking stick, even now they don't really understand..

Same with my doctors actually, some if them don't even believe in my condition which makes things a bit hard.

I can't give any medical advice, but I can help with finding ways to cope with the pain (and find ways to explain it to doctors)

What sort of pain do you get? Like where is it and what does it feel like?

Highlighted

Hey @sunnygirl606 @and @Tiny_leaf 

Yes @sunnygirl606 it was a huge decision to make but I am glad that I made it and feel confident about it 😄 I just want to be able to develop myself as an independent person, you know? I want to meet new people and study something I love. Which is why I am opting for a graduate degree in health or medical science and then hopefully shifting to medicine from there. I think having my own space which I can make my own and take care of myself both spiritually and physically is the most important thing that I am seeking to achieve by moving out. 

@Tiny_leaf I get pains right over my heart and I don’t understand sometimes. Breathing becomes a little hard and sometimes the pain is too much to ignore. It’s so hard to describe it...its like a dull ache more than anything. It means a lot to hear you say that. I know that takes a toll - not being understood. I just don’t understand why people do that...I think it’s easier to say that they don’t know how to help. But I don’t know if that’s the case. I have always thought that it’s because of my parents’ expectations of me. They have always wanted me to be the perfect daughter...healthy, happy and smart. But having to understand that I am not the mirror image of their dreams is quite hard on them I guess. Which really does suck because after all, we are all human and no one is perfect.

How are you holding up? Has it gotten a little easier to cope and talk with your family about things?

Highlighted

Aw yes @StarGirl101 Seems like you're really looking forward to it! It is always good to know that your wellbeing is really important. Do you know some ways that you will be practicing some self-care for your physical and spiritual wellbeing? I find listening to inspirational and motivating podcasts, particularly around studying, helps me quite a bit. Maybe this is something that'll help you?

It's so good that you know your passions! Medicine seems like something really exciting and important to get into Smiley Very Happy and studying something you love is so much easier and way more enjoyable too! Do you have any goals of what you want to achieve in medicine?

Highlighted

Hey @sunnygirl606 

I think over the past few months I have found journaling to be really helpful in coping with things. It helps to look back later on and say “If I got through it then, I can get thru it now”. I tried that earlier on last year, listening to motivational podcasts when tackling tougher subjects like maths. It really helped, but I stopped because I seemed to get stressed because of it. I made education a do or die sort of thing in my mind, which did more harm than good. 

In medicine when I am a lot older, I really want to travel the world and set up clinics on my own - raising awareness for neurological conditions and how we can effectively tackle them. Educating others that aren’t really familiar with the consequences and treatment options for neurological setbacks would be my first priority. I think parents of children really need to be able to reach out to their kids and understand them...and maybe I will be able to achieve that through a program of my own. That is the ultimate goal 😅

Highlighted

I love journaling too @StarGirl101, and just like you said, it's an amazing reminder of the things we have been through and have been able to tackle and overcome! It's also good that you recognised when listening to podcasts stressed you and you took a step back from it! It's also good how you realised how you viewed education. Do you still view it as a do or die thing now? 

That sounds like an awesome thing to do! It really admiring that you want to help and educate those who may not get the opportunity to be exposed to information like that! You seem like a really caring person, and it is very admirable. Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Thank you for your kind words, @sunnygirl606 😊

Nope, education is more than that I think. It’s just an amazing feeling knowing that we have the opportunity to educate ourselves and grow from that. It’s taught me so much...like perseverance, grit and courage. Learning is something else entirely...it’s almost euphoric in a way - being able to know how the simplest things around us work in such complicated ways to perform the way they do. Same with the human body - I find it amazing that every cell works in its own unique and perfect way to keep us alive - which is truly amazing for such a tiny specimen 😆. I am so grateful just to feel this way towards education and to be able to learn all these different things 😁

I think what @Tiny_leaf explained earlier on really spoke to me. It’s astounding how many people are able to relate to feeling misunderstood - and how many of our family members refuse to try and understand despite being shown that the pain we go through is real. I don’t know...hopefully I can do something about it soon..because that really needs to change.

Highlighted

That's okay Smiley Very Happy @StarGirl101 

Yes! I've been learning about cells and the brain for numerous years and it astounds me every time how amazing the human body works! I'm really glad to hear your outlook on education and learning has change Smiley Happy Does this new outlook help you to feel more confident in your studies and learning? How have your parents reacted to this if you've told them how you now view education and learning?

@Tiny_leaf is really amazing with what they said! It really spoke to me as well. Although it hurts to be misunderstood, it does help to remind us that when someone else comes to us with an issue, to listen and believe them. It may take a while for your parents to understand but hopefully with your education and career goals, that they start to understand.