cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TW Almost died, lost my job, very stressed about university, feel rubbish.

Hey, 

So I'm 19 and I was looking for a job to have while at uni and I had a very difficult time I applied for 160+ jobs and I got 1 interview and I got that job, not being wanted was making me depressed and I had that job for 3 weeks and then I suddenly got very sick, I got blood clots in my lungs and heart and my heart failed. I should have died I was in ICU for 2 weeks and recovering for 2 months and after I was better I had one shift at work and they fired me. So now I have no job and I feel very sad and depressed like someone hit me with a truck. I know I'm going to struggle a lot to get one and all my family say stuff like you do nothing, your lazy, get a job. I do 3 kinds of volunteering and full-time uni with perfect grades so I don't think I'm lazy. 

I am a full-time neuroscience student in 2nd year and I have a perfect GPA of 7 and I'm terrified of losing it I would honestly probably sacrifice my friends and my health to keep it at a 7 I worked so hard to keep that I even managed to keep full marks while I was in ICU (it was week before exams when I got out). I honestly don't know what I would do if my GPA drops its unthinkable but I have a VERY hard course load this semester and the classes are really difficult and its a very large possibility that I'm going to end up with a 6.7 - 6.9 not a 7 and I would probably have a literal mental breakdown if that happens. Uni and grades are my life doing well academically is the only thing I have going for me in life and is the only thing I'm good at and proud of. 

I should mention I have GAD and am medicated and see a therapist. 

Not sure what the point of this post is I just don't have anyone to talk to.

Re: Almost died, lost my job, very stressed about university, feel rubbish.

Hey @Charlie-29-1999 thank you for making this post and sharing part of your story on the forums. We're glad you're here Heart

I can only imagine how scary and stressful that experience was for you - medical emergencies and job hunting are stressful enough on their own, and you had to deal with both. I want to congratulate you, first of all, on your resilience and work ethic. The fact that you've come through all this and remain motivated to do well is remarkable.

I'm glad to hear that you see a therapist. How have you found that experience?

Looking forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Hey @Charlie-29-1999 

It sounds like you have a lot going on right now! I'm glad you felt that you could share your story with us.

Job hunting is never fun and can be super hard so don't be discouraged. It took me over a year and many many applications to finally get a job. And the fact that you volunteer should help a lot too! What kind of volunteering do you do?

Have you spoken to your therapist about how you are feeling at the moment? 

Hi @Charlie-29-1999!

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate and it's a very stressful time for you right now. Smiley Sad I think you're really talented and resilient. It can be hard to juggle university, work and volunteering, and as well as all this, you're also going through struggles with your health. Many people find it hard to even concentrate on doing one thing at a time. Congratulations on your GPA and academic achievements! Smiley Happy

Job-seeking can be really hard. Smiley Sad What was the reason your employer gave for firing you? It sounds as if they missed out on a talented, hardworking employee. Businesses can be really ruthless and not loyal to their employees. I've experienced something similar with an internship.

Good grades are useful to have, but when I was looking for positions, employers weren't interested in my theoretical knowledge and marks. They were looking for specific practical experience. Postgraduate courses were much the same. So, it's important not to get discouraged if your GPA drops a little. I'm sure your volunteer work will come in handy for applying for other roles. I had a perfect GPA until my fourth year of uni and I honestly think it dropped due to other factors rather than me not trying hard enough. I studied really hard for an exam in one subject, but the exam was nothing like the practice questions and all the things I'd studied, so it ended up lowering my GPA a bit. It was really disappointing but sometimes, these things aren't our fault.

Highlighted

Hi, @letitgo I have seen about 4 different mental health professionals over 3 years and I honestly haven't found any of them really helpful. Iv tried DBT & CBT and am currently just starting ACT. The main thing that has helped is medication but I hate taking meds and I don't want to be on them for life especially since my medical emergency I will be on a very strong blood-thinning medication that I take twice a day for the rest of my life, which sucks because I'm only 19. 

Hey @dog_lover94 

I volunteer to mentor kids with intellectual and social disabilities, I also mentor new uni students and also hold free group tutoring sessions at uni. I'm also in the process of becoming a St Johns ambulance volunteer. 

My therapist knows about my grade obsession thing as I have had it for at least 4 years, she doesn't know about the depressed about losing my job thing as I haven't seen her in 3 weeks; I'm meant to see her in 2 weeks I think. 

TW Re: Almost died, lost my job, very stressed about university, feel rubbish.

Hey @WheresMySquishy Thanks for the reply, my work didn't give me a reason actually and because I'm a casual legally they can get rid of me for no reason and don't have to tell me.

Re: TW Re: Almost died, lost my job, very stressed about university, feel rubbish.

Hi @Charlie-29-1999 

It sounds like you have been through a lot especially with your health, the fact that you managed to have such excellent grades during all of that is a big thing. It can be so hard looking for work and balancing everything, and I am sure any of those negative comments don't help at all. You definitively don't seem lazy at all. Pretty much the opposite. Your volunteer wok sounds amazing as well, and I am sure those kids and uni students really appreciate someone like you helping them. 

We have had a few discussion here about dealing with stress and the future and whilst it may not be exactly what you are looking for it might help to hear what other people have been talking about. Heart

Also just to let you know I added a Trigger warning as some of things you spoke about may a bit distressing to some people.

@Charlie-29-1999, wow I am amazed that you find time to do all that volunteering plus keeping your grades so high! Are you able to find time for yourself as well?

On your job hunting, if you like tutoring, I know there are places that hire to tutor college/high school students. That could be something to look into as a way to get some money!

Re: TW Re: Almost died, lost my job, very stressed about university, feel rubbish.

@Charlie-29-1999  That's pretty bad that your work suddenly fired you without any explanation. Smiley Sad It probably had nothing to do with you and wasn't your fault. I know that you'll be able to find a better position. You sound like a really hardworking person, judging by your excellent grades and amazing volunteer work. You've achieved so much at such a young age. Heart