cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: TW: Re: Social Isolation

Hello @Bento, I am glad to hear that you have been spending your time writing a story. I hope that you are finding this relaxing and I am sure that you are doing a great job at expressing your ideas Smiley Happy

By the sounds of it, you have spend a bit of time thinking about whether or not to continue with your TAFE course. It can be very satisfying to make a final decision when something has been on your mind for a while, I hope that you have found this to be true for you. It sounds like you are quite interested in drawing and writing. Would you be able to speak to a career advisor at your uni about some other courses that you could possibly take in these areas?

It sounds like you have some plans for the future, I hope that you are able to get a stall at a convention. That sounds like an awesome plan! Moving houses can be very hard, especially if you will need to change schools. Would you feel comfortable talking to your mum a bit more about the way that you are feeling about moving?
Highlighted

Hello again; so a couple of things. First, I don’t have to worry about moving for this year since that’s not enough time for my sister to move out, which has bought me some time. I don’t know if I’ve clarified this, but I have decided to withdraw from the course since it wasn’t really going where I’d hoped, I wanted to learn more drawing skills but I wasn’t really learning stuff I wanted to and chances are the certificate id get wouldn’t really be used for anything. I don’t think I’m experienced or versatile enough at art to be a freelance graphic designer, for now it’ll just have to be a pet project. For now, I want to look for work in retail just so I have something to keep me occupied daily and I can make some extra money while I still work on hobbies. I don’t know when places will go back to hiring but I hope this situation hasn’t made getting a job even harder for me, because it was already really hard searching and I feel embarrassed that I’m 21 and a half and still unemployed. I feel like there’s so much pressure for people my age to get their lives together right away before it’s too late; even in the midst of a pandemic making it harder for everyone there’s still that stress even if I can’t do anything about it now.

It’s almost June so the year will be halfway over in a month, but right now I just want to get it over with. I knew this would be a really tense year that I had to get over with, so at least I wasn’t too disappointed. But my hot take is that I still think this years been better than last year. Sure there’s a lot of disadvantages to this year, but at least there’s been more good environmental news, at least for Victoria, and the virus has at least distracted the public from all the other tensions in the world beforehand. I hope when things go back to “normal”, it’ll be a better normal than the one before. Right now I feel really tense about the US election getting closer, and I don’t think I can deal with it. I know I shouldn’t be worrying about the future so much, but it seems to be very common among people, which is a very damaging message to teach people as it encourages them to worry about things they can’t help at the cost of their mental wellbeing.

Highlighted

Heya @Bento thanks for the update on how you've been. It's good to hear that you have some extra time on your hands in terms of moving house! It sounds like you've got a good plan worked out to stay creative and focused on hobbies, whilst also thinking of how to be financially stable as well. It can be really hard to get the balance right with that! 

You raised something I think a lot of people would be struggling with at the moment. In a lot of ways, it feels like life has been put on hold this year due to the pandemic but those societal pressures to have met certain milestones by a particular age, is still there. 

Also, I can relate in terms of stressing over world news. Is there anything you do that helps you switch off from that kinda stuff? 

Highlighted

I think when I’m worried about stuff or just going through a rough time emotionally, it helps to be out doing something as a distraction. That’s presented a bit of a problem right now, but with more places slowly reopening as it hopefully gets a bit safer, I hope I can do some of the stuff I wanted to soon, but I’ve also started writing my fiction recently. It’s a bit slow right now, but I’ve been trying to get back into it by writing a bit each time I sit down at the computer.

Highlighted

Hello @Bento , it sounds like you have a lot of insight into your feelings and about what helps when you need to look after yourself! That is a great skill to have Heart. It is a shame to hear that some of your strategies have been impacted by the current situation, I hope that you have found something just as great to do in the meantime. It is good to hear that you have made the most of this situation by using this time to get some writing done. Well done on staying focused and determined in these times. Heart By the sounds of it, you have some great activities planned for when the restrictions ease (which is happening soon apparently!)
Highlighted

So I’m just gonna get this out of the way, I’m sure everyone knows about the murder of George Floyd and right now it’s a really uncertain time for racial equality. I knew I had to say something, so on social media I wrote something that basically said that this year has been extremely difficult for me and many others because we have had to juggle so much. It’s like they say “when it rains it pours”, it always feels like a million things bombard society at once to keep us down. It is an extremely hard time to grow up in. Even though things are more convenient and for the lack of a better word, in terms of mentality it’s no wonder there’s such a mental health crisis around the world. Everything is so hard and exhausting, and it’s hard for me to be optimistic when everyone says how horrible this year has been. It really feels like after the damage done in this year, things will never get better. Every year gets worse than the last, and it seems like the world’s morality is at an all time low, and next year and the year after will probably be the same. Why should anyone believe things will be better when time and time again it’s only gotten worse? I know for me it’s a really scary uncertain time because it feels like nothing will ever change, and every day I have to life with negative thoughts. My plans to be calmer this year have gone out the window because I had no idea this year would be this infuriating. I’ve tried my hardest to be positive and hopeful, but I get nothing but negative validation for my efforts. I don’t know how much longer I can go through life like this.

Highlighted

Hey @Bento ,

I've also been feeling pretty despairing about the news from the USA in the last few days, and I can really empathise with feeling like the world can be a scary and uncertain place at times. I think that feeling can kind of feel even more intense when the news is so negative. I've seen from the artwork you've posted here before that you're a super talented artist, do you think channeling some of those feelings into art might help a bit? 

Check out our community activities calendar for June 2020 here
Highlighted

Usually whenever I feel hopeless about something, I desperately try to look on the bright side. In this case, the good news is that some police are showing support for the peaceful protesters, so I hope that’s a sign that not all is lost. I just want this week to go by as soon as possible in the hopes that things will look better eventually. Today I had my first session with a new GP, and it was good to share my emotional pain with someone and seek help. The one thing that could make this year worth it is if it ends up being a bridge to a better future, because our actions today will impact tomorrow.

Highlighted

Hey @Bento, I am so glad to hear that you have been able to focus on the positives when you are feeling hopeless. It's an incredibly useful skill to have, and one that's super important for your wellbeing Smiley Happy It's really good that you've been able to see a doctor who is listening to you and allowing you to share what you're going through!

Highlighted

Yesterday I started seeing my guardian (or whatever the correct term) again; she takes me out each Saturday, and it’s nice to be able to talk to someone else around my age. We usually take my dog Maggie with us too when possible.

There’s also a discord group I joined that has voice chat sessions each Monday. I found out about the group through someone I know from syn radio. It’s nice to have a casual conversation with a group of people and feel a bit more social while I work on personal stuff, but I will have to speak up whenever someone starts talking about anything that makes me feel uncomfortable, because I want to feel relaxed when I chat with them.

I also signed two petitions for George Floyd, one from change.org and one from Amnesty. It’s not much but until I can donate money at least I’ve helped in some way. Someone also said that it’s okay for us to spend time away from media to prioritize our own wellbeing. Some people might think you’re selfish or apathetic for doing it, but I really need to take time out for myself, and I have been stressing out about everything lately. I’m trying to do all I can to make the weeks go by so I can be one step closer to things I’m looking forward to.