cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink
May_
Uber contributor

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:14 PM

@redhead that's interesting. do you think long-term goals give you something to strive towards? 🙂
Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:22 PM

Do you find making goals helps you to feel motivated? Do you stick to them?

If a goal is too big or too far away, i tend to either run away screaming or forget about it and do something more fun. 

So i need to break big goals up into smaller chunks and then remind myself why they are important and relate to the big goal. So i kind of give myself a breadcrumb trail to follow that helps me keep the right amount of stress 😛 

Awwjisss

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:26 PM

How can we make goals that work?

I like to have large goals, and then break it into smaller sub-goals.

For example;

To conquer the mountain that is my maths homework I have to:

• Complete Ex1H
  • Do question 1-5
  • Do the test review questions

Ta-da, you've conquered maths mountain!

This doesn't always work, but it sometimes helps me build momentum.

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:32 PM

And time for our next question:

Long term vs. short term goals - which works better?

Alison5
Star contributor

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:35 PM

For me, i think short term goals because I see the result quicker and there isn't as much commitment required.
I definitely see how long term goals can help you stay focussed. I just think it's important you find the right passion.
RevzZ
Star contributor

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:39 PM

How can we make goals that work?

Chocolate. I think? Maybe food to be a bit more general.

Short term goals are good, though I feel like you get stuck in the cycle of expecting your future self to be able to become better at long term goals and that cycle ends up as your long term goal. I guess it depends on how important the goal actually is if that makes sense? Overall though, I think short term goals build up more excellent long term goals, rather than one alone.

lokifish
Uber contributor

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:41 PM

Chocolate is the answer to everything in life @RevzZ

chocolate

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:47 PM

Okay everyone, final question!

What can we do when we find ourselves without motivation and struggling to get things done?

9fa093c6c926724dec9ea53bbbd75e3a_you-need-to-be-a-pelican-not-a-funny-uplifting-memes_300-225.jpg

tomo_13
Super frequent scribe

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:49 PM

What can we do when we find ourselves without motivation and struggling to get things done?

One thing that I do when I'm getting bored and lacking motivating is just to stop doing it for a little while, usually no more than 24 hours. This just lets it get out of my system, let me focus on something different and then re-do it with fresh eyes, and usually re-motivates me.

Gonna head off now guys, this has been great, really good discussion!!

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:52 PM

I do that too @Alison5. I'm like, 'Okay, get out your pen, and then you can do whatever you want.' So I get out my pen and then ten minutes later I open my book and ten minutes later I write the heading etc. It's not very efficient, but if I'm not getting anything done anyway, it's better than nothing.

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:54 PM

It's way past my bedtime so I'm gonna head off now too. Thanks to everyone who helped out tonight! 🙂

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:56 PM

Thanks for all your awesome help @tomo_13 and @lokifish!!!

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:58 PM

Annnd it's time to wrap up the chat now anyway! Thanks to everyone for all your help this evening! It's been a great chat, and i have a few more tools in my brain belt now for getting and staying motivated, which is awesome 🙂 

Have a lovely night! 

And a special thanks again to @tomo_13 for their first ever GR blog, Nice one! 

originally posted on 20-03-2017 10:00 PM

Thanks everyone! Goodnight, and have an awesome week! 😄

originally posted on 20-03-2017 10:03 PM

Goodnight to you all 🙂 And well done @tomo_13! You did great!

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:58 PM

And I think that does it for tonight. I hope we can all take away some tips and advice on motivation and making those short and long term goals.

Thanks for your contributions tonight.

Sleep well!

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:49 PM

I like to set a really tiny goal. So if i'm doing an assignment, first I went to sit at my desk and I just build up from there. Rewards are a great way to motivate yourself and get you through the tough periods. I think remembering to take adequate breaks is important too.

Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:51 PM

Sometimes if I am not feeling motivated to do a thing, i consider whether or not i even need to do that thing. Sometimes i don't! 

It can also be a sign that the stress levels aren't right, whether that's because there's not enough to really motivate me, or too much to handle making me feel distracted or too wound up to do the thing. 

I also sometimes find it useful to talk to someone about it. Sometimes thinking through why i want to do a thing can help me get motivated again 🙂 

Ben-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:52 PM

Thank you so much for the chat @tomo_13 and for writing the intro post too! Amazing work 🙂 

lokifish
Uber contributor

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:37 PM

I think both are important. Long term goals help you see the bigger picture, and short term goals help you figure out the nitty gritty, day to day stuff that needs to happen. Without both of them we either get too caught up in the big picture or in miniscule details

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:34 PM

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:34 PM

We've touched on this a little bit. For me personally I think short term goals are the way to go, because it makes me feel like I've accomplished loads, even if I maybe haven't 😛 Long term goals are good too, but I find I sort of forget about them, or they seem to big and too hard, kinda like new year's resolutions.

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:29 PM

I'm super tired so going to have to head off now - thanks for the great chat everyone 🙂 Goodnight!
FootyFan26
Uber contributor

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:31 PM

Take car @May_
lokifish
Uber contributor

originally posted on 20-03-2017 9:31 PM

Goodnight @May_! Thanks for all your contributions tonight 🙂