Main content skiplink
Hozzles
Star contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 9:21 PM

Such a great chat, thank you all so much, and happy pride! 😀🏳️‍🌈

I Love Ya GIF by Jon Hanlan
Pride Lgbt GIF

originally posted on 30-06-2021 8:12 PM

How can you gauge whether someone is safe to come out to or not? 

Hmm I like Bre's ideas! Other than them just like slowly testing the waters with people and observing what they have to say about the LGBTQIA+ community in general? Idk

WheresMySquishy
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 8:08 PM

I have to go now, but have a good night everyone!

Everyone's responses have been awesome!
Looking forward to reading the rest of this chat tomorrow! 🌈

originally posted on 30-06-2021 8:16 PM

See you @WheresMySquishy! 😁

originally posted on 30-06-2021 8:09 PM

Thanks so much for joining in and sharing your insights. They are so appreciated. 

Have a lovely evening 🥰

originally posted on 30-06-2021 8:09 PM

Cya @WheresMySquishy! Take care for now 🙂

originally posted on 30-06-2021 7:58 PM

It feels unsafe for me to come out. What do I do? 

This is really tough and you are certainly not alone. I think safety is the moest important thing so you never HAVE to come out to certain people. But at the same time you know who you are and I guess sometimes you have to wait stuff out until you can live your own life away from unsafe people? Idk it's really hard. Like Hozzles said we live in a country that is safer for people compared to other places but we've still got a long way to go 😞

originally posted on 30-06-2021 8:12 PM

It is such a tough experience to have. Safety is so important, so it's good to have a safety plan in mind. But as you said there is nothing wrong with waiting until it feels safe 😊

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 7:06 PM

@Lost_Space_Explorer5 it sure is! how exciting 🥳

Can't wait to kick this one off. Before we get started I wanted to remind you all that this month the special guest is - the community! Which means every single one of you are welcome to get involved and share  your thoughts and experiences. 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 7:19 PM

Before I put the first question up - please forgive my terrible internet connection tonight. There is a good chance my responses/questions will be very slow tonight. Also, might not be able to load gifs 😞 

Let's get into this. First question of the night: 

What are three words to describe coming out? 

Portia_RO
Star contributor

originally posted on 01-07-2021 9:43 AM

• Nerve-wracking
  • Courageous 
  • Relief! 

Drag Race GIF by MTV NEWS

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 7:29 PM

Okay my internet is sorting itself out, so I'm going to pop up the next question while I can 🤣

What is the best thing about coming out? 

San Francisco Vintage GIF by GIPHY News

Hozzles
Star contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 7:39 PM

What is the best thing about coming out? 

Not having to hide and second-guess everything you say. Like, even innocent things like 'that girl was so pretty' made me overthink like mad. Also, a dating pool 😂😂 and, again, knowing there's a vibrant community behind you that has your back + living authentically! Also, just the fact that we live in a country that we CAN come out without fear (for the most part).

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 7:38 PM

It will be interesting to see everyones answer to the next question. 

When do you know you're ready to come out? 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 7:52 PM

We got this next question a few times and it's a very important question. One thing I would say is that no matter what, you are who you are and you don't need to come out until you feel it is safe. 

Sending love to all the people who asked this question: 

It feels unsafe for me to come out. What do I do? 

Miss You Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Here are some awesome services you can get advice/support from if you feel stuck: 

ReachOut have put together an article about where to find support here and another article here  about where to find culturally diverse LGBTIQA+ support services 

Minus18 

Twenty10 

QLife

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 8:08 PM

Thank you for the people who sent through this question. It makes a huge difference being able to pick up on who will be supportive. 

My tips would be - someone who is a known ally (you might know this because they post on social media, attend protests etc) or someone who is part of the community. 

How can you gauge whether someone is safe to come out to or not? 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 8:52 PM

This is a GREAT question because it actually does happen a lot. There can be shame and confusion that comes up when you feel like you need to come out again. Maybe you came out as gay but now you realise you are bi - or maybe you want to come out as non-binary and feel like it's a daunting process to go through after coming out as gay. Whatever it is, know you are not alone. 

You Can Do It Love GIF by Sarah The Palmer

I have come out and now I think my identity has changed. How do I deal with this? 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 9:00 PM

Time is ticking away so I am going to pop up this question too. My advice would be that you don't owe anybody information about yourself. You aren't be dishonest by waiting to see if you trust someone enough to come out to them. It's totally up to you who you come out to and when you do it! 

What are some ways of getting past the feeling of hiding something from someone you don't know if you trust yet without coming out to them? 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 9:09 PM

Thank you so much to those of you who participated and read along tonight. 

I hope that everyone got something out the chat. It seems like most of us share similar feelings about coming out - it's exciting, scary, freeing, uniting, confusing - all in one. 

My wish for everyone is that there comes a time in your life where you feel safe to come out and accepted by people in our community. Whether that is a large group or your friendship circle. But most importantly to feel accepted by yourself. It doesn't happen overnight and it comes with practice! 

I thought we'd end with something fun. I love this question that came through: 

What are your favourite coming out/pride songs? 

Here are some of mine and hope to see all of yours:

Free - Ultra Nate

Freedom - George Michael 

True Colors - Cyndi Lauper (written for her friend when they came out 😍

Born This Way - Lady Gaga 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 9:23 PM

Okay everyone, I'm signing off for the night. Thanks again for another amazing AMAA. Loved hearing from you all 🙂 

If anything we've spoken about tonight has made you feel distressed reach out to your support networks or if it's your thing you can call: 

Lifeline: 13 11 14

Qlife: 1800 184 527 

Gay Pride Love GIF by Hello All

originally posted on 30-06-2021 9:30 PM

Thanks everyone! This was a really important discussion and I know your answers helped me feel a bit more secure in my understanding of myself so I think anyone else reading along or who answers the questions later on will benefit too! 🙂 

See you all at the next AMAA! And maybe at the next live GR if/when they come back 🙂

originally posted on 30-06-2021 9:20 PM

This has been great reading what everyone had to say

I'd have to say some good ones are 

Get the Party Started - P!nk

Girls Like Girls - Hayley Kiyoko

Not a Phase - Jessie Paege, Lucy & La Mer

Hozzles
Star contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 9:15 PM

Definitely Born This Way! So good. 

I didn't know that about True Colours! 🤯 that's so lovely! I went to a Cyndi Lauper concert once and she was so cool haha.

I just love all the pop songs the community has 'adopted', haha. 

Bre-RO
Uber contributor

originally posted on 30-06-2021 9:18 PM

Hahahah we have a way of "adopting" songs. Even if they had nothing to do with being LGBTIQA+ they are all the sudden a queer anthem 😆