cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing With Anger

Hey Guys, just been reading some of the articles on the website about feeling angry. I am interested in how different people cope when they are feeling angry. Having some of my own issues with anger I have developed ways to reducing my anger.
Somw of the ways I reduce anger:
Go for a walk, this helps me get away from the situation.
Count, this merely distracts me from whatever my mind is cought up on.
Focus on my breathing, again this just gives me something else to focus on.

Re: Dealing With Anger

Hey @Grake! It is indeed a very interesting topic. So much so that we had a GR session a couple weeks back about this. I don't know if you were there but it can be worth a read 😊
Highlighted

Hey @RevzZ I was not part of that GR, haven't been online in ages! I shall check it out though.

I don't get angry too often, but when I do I don't think I'm particularly good at dealing with it. I think it's important to recognise how you're feeling so that you're less likely to do a stupid thing like yell at someone for no reason (oops). Curious as to what the difference is between angry and frustrated is? Maybe this is in the gr though, I might read through that.

@roseisnotaplant Personally, I think frustration is when you are getting angry or feeling annoyed at a thing/person/whatever. That thing is driving you up the wall but unlike anger, your frustration is more internal/facial expressions and occassional fist clenching. I dunno. The line is thin.

@Grake

I think this is a great thread that will be helpful to a lot of people! 

I personally don't get angry at people but when I do I feel like it all comes out at once. 
I try to remove myself from the situation, calm myself down and then think rationally from everyone's point of view. 
When you can think from the other person's perspective, I feel like it helps to calm you down Cat Happy

I used to have a very bad temper problem - I would get very violent and angry over little things, and would lash out at anyone close to me. I still feel very bad sometimes about hurting the people close to me. To help, I told people like my family and friends, who are around me the most, that when I tell them I need to stop talking about a topic, or I need them to go away/let me leave, they need to listen to me. Even if they don't, now I have learned to just stand up and walk away into another room. I started to pay attention to how I felt when I was angry, so I could recognise the signs of things getting too much. From there I would remove myself from the angering situation, then externalise in more appropriate ways. Screaming into pillows was a good option, and I also find scribbing on paper and throwing things (soft things!) at a wall (not a person) helps, but it depends. Personally, exercise made me feel more like my blood was boiling, and I think I'm better off dealing with anger in private, rather than running around yelling at people on the streets heh

Sorry for the late chime in but what's everyone's thoughts on this vending machine for anger?

Clever arts student!

Haha that's awesome @Bree-RO!

The vending machine for anger is awesome! Woman LOL I've smashed a fair few plates in anger!

I used to suffer from anger issues. It was hard for me to understand that I was suffering from depression and I lashed out because I was unable to communicate my feelings. 

I found punching bags, jogging and just yelling "I feel angry and I don't know why!" really helpful.

These days I put on some loud music and dance until I feel better. Sometimes that dancing is just jumping lol.