cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Introduce Yourself Here - February 2020!

Hi guys!
Wow, I can't believe January is already over... it all went so quick, and now it's already time for yet another introduce yourself thread! Smiley Surprised This one is kinda special for me, as I remember the 2020 Feb introduce yourself thread is probably one of the first threads I ever commented in! Smiley Very Happy 

Here's the questions (mostly random!):

Did you do anything fun these Summer holidays?
giphy

Has any book/ movie really impacted your life? What is it?
giphy

How do you feel about Valentine's Day? A day of romance, or an excuse for shops to sell teddy bears? Smiley LOL
giphy

Do you have a favorite board/ card game?
giphy

If you won a million dollars, what’s the first thing you would do with the money?
giphy

Most importantly: do you remember the secret 'r' in February?
(Stole this question from @N1ghtW1ng's 2018 Feb thread, it was so brilliant!Smiley LOL)
giphy

Highlighted

Re: Introduce Yourself Here - February 2020!

These are some brilliant questions @Hozzles, especially that last one, something about it just stands out to me Smiley Tongue 

Can you even believe it's February? Because I can't! I want my January back please Smiley Tongue 

Well, no. I don't really "do" holidays, just wasting time until work and stuff starts up again. Which it finally has! Along with a whole lot of rain. (I'd like the sun back please, especially when my job is teaching swimming Smiley Very Happy)

I watch/read something, I either like it, love it or don't care Smiley Tongue I suppose Ninjago (the fantastic LEGO show about ninjas) is my special interest, if that counts. 

How do you feel about Valentine's Day? A day of romance, or an excuse for shops to sell teddy bears? Smiley LOL

I humbly request that romance stop being everywhere. Cause, no. I've got nothing against romance, I'm just really sick and tired of watching anything with two characters of opposite genders and that heavy dread that they're probably going to end up a couple because apparently friendships aren't good enough? (sorry, I could rant about this for a real long time, so I'll stop for now) I'm aromantic (as well as ace) so it's not my thing and I'd really love to see less of it. 

Do you have a favourite board/card game?

You can never ask me my favourite anything, because I will never answer you Smiley Tongue I love a lot of games!! The first one (card game) that popped into my head was solitaire, but I really love all kinds of board games! Rummikub is a particular fave of mine (except I hardly play because I have no friends to play with) but yeah, board games! Smiley Very Happy 

If you won a million dollars, what’s the first thing you would do with the money?

Dunno, bask in the glory of having a million dollars probably, then buy a bunch of LEGO minifigures and sets that I've been wanting. (because I'd still have sooo much left over, it really wouldn't matter what I did first, and I love LEGO Smiley Tongue)

Yes I do! I learnt it by always saying Feb-RRRR-uary in my head, and now it's stuck Smiley Very Happy

(Also @Hozzles, just cause you asked the questions, doesn't mean you can't answer them!! Heart I'd love to hear your answers too! And anyone else floating about the forums Smiley Happy)

Highlighted

I’ve already done this when I first joined the forums, but I’m going to keep doing this as much as possible! ❤️

1. Sorta. I went to Sydney, in January. But the rest of the holidays were quite boring. I ended up getting sick with a stomach bug on the 3rd last day of holidays, and spent the last few days in bed, watching TV or my iPad/phone.

2. Nope! Smiley Tongue

3. I agree with @N1ghtW1ng! I mean, I’m still a loner, but that won’t be the same in a few years time. If there were more things to do with same sex romance, then maybe? I don’t know... Smiley Indifferent

4. Nope! More like Bored game! I don’t mind playing card games, but I much prefer things like Coup (Pronounced ‘Coo’), UNO Flip, or Exploding Kittens (>Smiley Happy). Warlords and Scumbags is a good game when you have just normal playing cards.

5. I would probably cut off my hair (Chin Length), and donate that along with the money for charity. Before that, probably save a quarter of it towards a car or laptop or just into savings in general. Smiley Happy

6. I actually never learnt this until last year, in the spelling bee! I could have lost it, if my friend didn’t spell it right! (I think that makes sense? I can’t English today Smiley Tongue). But since I heard how to spell it properly, I now know that it has an R in it.

// You are worth Something, not Nothing. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise //
Highlighted

Hehe, I always plan on answering them after a couple of people have answered already. Smiley LOLSmiley Tongue

Not really? I went to Sydney with my Mum + Nan for a few days, and we did some fun things, but most of it was just a big blur!

Hunger Games is the book that got me into reading/literature, and I went to see the movies on midnight launch every year with my friend. Romeo and Juliet was the first Shakespeare book I ever read, and got me into loving his works. I read the Bell Jar at a very pivotal moment in my life, if that counts. I also guess every book I've read in school and had to do an assignment on, as they've impacted my grade. Smiley Tongue

How do you feel about Valentine's Day? A day of romance, or an excuse for shops to sell teddy bears? 
Well... It can be cute (says the repressed hopeless romantic in me), but I feel like if you love your partner, you should celebrate it everyday and not just go out for dinner on the day where everything is overpriced anyway Smiley LOL. Yeah, Valentine's day episodes of TV shows can be annoying, especially when forcing couples together.

I often waste hours playing online solitaire when I'm really bored. I also like cheat, and I guess any card games that aren't like... poker. Smiley LOL I collect playing cards, if that counts Smiley Tongue. I also like Uno! Board games are really fun, but I haven't played any in a while. I wish I had a group to play with! Smiley Surprised

Probably save most. I might give some to family, use it to travel, and go on a shopping spree for some new clothes (that feel when you can't afford your aesthetic... Smiley LOL).

Hahahah, I'm an awful speller tbh. I didn't really until I stole this question. Smiley LOL

Highlighted

Loving reading through these, great thread @Hozzles , so thought I'd chuck in mine (even though I think I might have done one in December just after I joined, I hope that's allowed!)

I had a pretty chilled out but lovely break, nothing super exciting - went to the central coast a few times with my family which was awesome, saw some movies, had a few fun days out (saw Six at the Opera House, which was awesome! Feminist pop/rock musical about Henry's 6 wives and a super fun few hours). And, I started working at ReachOut not too long before the summer break, which was also a highlight! Heart Heart 

SO many, I really can't name just one. I've always been a big reader, and I love films. 

A short-list: 

• The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat - Oliver Sacks . Super fascinating case histories from Oliver Sacks who was a neurologist, and  also a really talented writer. 
  • Any Ordinary Day - Leigh Sales. Recently read this, and it was amazing. 
  • Grownups - Marian Keyes. Just finished this the other day, she's one of my favourite authors, and her books can be light, funny, but also touch on some really meaty issues. 
  • Lord of the Rings - the books, and the movies. 
  • Spirited Away/ My Neighbour Totoro - I am so excited that all of the Studio Ghibli movies are on Netflix now! They are really beautiful. I went to the Ghibli museum in Tokyo and it was AMAZING. 
  • So many more, but that's what came to mind today. 

Image result for spirited away gif

How do you feel about Valentine's Day? A day of romance, or an excuse for shops to sell teddy bears? 
Not a huge fan, to be honest. I find it super commercial and I think it can make people feel a bit crappy when they're single - that being said, I wouldn't say no to flowers! But I've never really celebrated it. Bit of a Valentine's Grinch I guess. 

I've been playing a few lately- Cards Against Humanity is hilarious and very wrong sometimes, I love a good game of scrabble, Secret Hitler was fun, settlers of catan. 

Put it into a travel fund, so that we could do some amazing trips in the future, give a big chunk to charity, especially the RFS because they are absolutely amazing. 

YES!! But only because I had a teacher in year 5 who was quite obsessed with spelling, and also with making sure we could use apostrophes correctly. To this day I still twitch a bit when I see an incorrectly placed apostrophe and get really annoyed when my autocorrect puts random ones in for me Smiley Wink Smiley Wink 

Check out our community activities calendar for March 2020 here
Highlighted

@Janine-RO - don't worry, we can reintroduce ourselves each month, haha! It's one of my fav threads and I look forward to it every month. Smiley Tongue

I have The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat on my to-read list! I'm so keen to read, the brain is so fascinating. I also just googled Secret Hitler (weird name, haha) and it reminds me of the game Werewolf! I used to play it a lot during recess in high school, and I sometimes play it online. So fun, I love games where you have to be sneaky and figure things out, haha.

Highlighted

I went to a new zoo that's opened up near where I live! I saw lots of animals that I haven't seen before in person and took plenty of pictures.

I used to enjoy reading a lot of old books, like the Count of Monte Cristo, Frankenstein, The Three Musketeers, Brave New World, To Kill a Mockingbird, Edgar Allan Poe's stories, etc. I wouldn't say that they changed my life, but some of them had so many good quotes and messages that I still remember. When I was younger, I also read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which was a really cathartic experience. It helped me to remember and understand my trauma and prompted me to seek professional help.
@Janine-RO  I also love Oliver Sacks' works and Studio Ghibli films!
@N1ghtW1ng  My sister and I watched some Ninjago the other day. Smiley Happy

I'm indifferent towards it.

I'm not sure if I have a favourite, but I played Detective recently with my family and really got into it. We have about a thousand different versions of Monopoly too.
Some other games I've recently played are Codenames, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, 221B Baker Street, Guess Who, Cards Against Humanity, Trivial Pursuit and Cluedo.
@Hozzles  I'd love to play Secret Hitler because I've heard it's really good, but I can never get a large enough group of people. It's great how you can play some games online! There are always plenty of people playing Jackbox games online. Push the Button is like Secret Hitler and seems to be fairly popular. I've played it with my family a few times.

I don't think I would know what to do with it. I'd like to use some of it to travel overseas, and it would also cover some medical bills. I'd donate some of it to charity too, but only after I've thoroughly researched which charities I'd like to give it to.

I've always been good at spelling when I was younger. I don't remember ever spelling February without the secret 'r'.
Our kindergarten class used to chant the months in a singsong way and I still remember how it used to sound. Smiley LOL

Highlighted

Ahhh I've been away for a while but I'm glad to be back again! And this is a great way to start off getting back into the forums! Smiley Very Happy

Hmm I went on holidays with my family to Taiwan during the summer (it was winter over there but it wasn't too cold which was great). Other than that not much else sadly Smiley Surprised

Has any book/movie really impacted your life? What is it?
I recently watched the Korean movie parasite directed by Bong Joon Ho (also won several awards at the Oscars!) and it was a really amazing and unexpected movie! I went in watching it without any preconceptions so I was really surprised by how it turned out.

Spoiler
The themes of class differences was really interesting and really drove the story even though it wasn't so obvious in the beginning. The differences really stuck out in the end and gave me a lot of insight to how different people's lives and motivations can be.

How do you feel about Valentine's Day? A day of romance, or an excuse for shops to sell teddy bears? Smiley LOL

I actually forgot that it was valentine's day haha this year! It's a nice day of romance but I don't think there needs to be a day exclusively for romantic events

Do you have a favourite board/card game.

I really like playing mahjong haha

I'd probably help pay off the mortgage for my parents' home and save the rest for further education and other investments!

Yess! I always try to say february with the secret 'r' haha ~

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi all, I'm new here.

Does anyone know how to change your profile picture please, to something on your camera roll? This one below please?carmen-floral-wallpaper-soft-pink-p6885-21299_image.jpg

Thanks,

Tayla

Highlighted

Hey @scared01!

I know I haven’t been on for a while. Got back about a month ago. Good to see you still here! 💜👍🏼