cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: 12am

Thank you @Blurryphaced,
And you're welcome.

Is there anything you can do to help yourself after a rough night last night?

Here for you. ❤

// You are worth Something, not Nothing. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise //
Highlighted

Hi @Blurryphaced, it sounds like you have been struggling a lot recently. You mention wanting to talk to your counsellor, which is amazing. You are so brave for reaching out to a number of places when you are feeling so low. Did you end up talking to your counsellor? It can be so difficult when it feels like our brain is working against us. It can take some time to unlearn patterns that are negative and well ingrained. That being said, it sounds like you have already committed some time to this by seeing a counsellor which is such a big step to take. Have you even mentioned these thoughts of self-sabotage to your counsellor? They may have some tools or strategies that can help in these moments Heart

It is okay to talk about thoughts of suicide or self-harm. As we are a community here, others can become worried for your safety and well-being when discussing these topics. For this reason, we ask that you mention whether you are safe or not when you first post. We are not a crisis support service, so if you are feeling unsafe, it is best that you seek other external supports that you find helpful. Let us know if you have any questions about this, we are always more than happy to clarify Smiley Happy
Highlighted

I can totally relate @Blurryphaced!! 

It's never easy trying to tell that brain of ours to shut up with the terrible thoughts and to stop with the self sabotage. I really do feel for you because I know it's not a fun time trying to fight it off ❤

Sometimes it becomes too much that it is just easier to shut yourself off from the world and throw the progress out the window, I get it. But despite this, I think you should be very proud of yourself that you are trying your best to fight back!! 

I was just wondering if you've shared these feelings with your psych before? 

Highlighted

Hey @Blurryphaced,

I can completely empathise with the whole self-saboutage thing. The most important thing is to keep trying those coping strategies, even when you feel like self-saboutaging. You're not a failure just because you got in your own way in the past. We're not perfect robots, humans are complex and we can't always deal with tough situations perfectly. I promise you that if you keep practising those coping strategies, they'll become more natural and you'll find what works for you. Soon you won't even need to think about them, you'll just automatically start implementing them.

A big thing for me when my brain starts going haywire and my anxiety or depressed thoughts start going nuts is to get onto the Smiling Mind app and do a short mindfulness meditation. Mindfulness isn't for everyone but it really helps me. It's not always easy though to sit with my thoughts, but the more I practise, the better I get at focussing on the present moment and less on the future or the past (where the negative or anxiety ridden thoughts live).  

What have you found works the best for you? 

@MisoBear I guess the most useful thing I've found is to exercise or go for a brisk walk outdoors because I feel it helps me to relieve some of my emotions when they feel too overpowering. The only problem with that is it doesn't help me at night time. I have tried mindfulness apps before but didn't feel they really worked for me, I'm not sure what else to try though. 

Highlighted

Hey @Blurryphaced

That's really good that you have found a form of self-care that works for you! Even if it's just for during the day. Maybe you could reflect on what about walking or exercise makes you feel a it more calm. For example, exercise might work for you because it helps tire out your brain, so maybe other activities that tire out your brain could work for you. This could be something like doing word puzzles or sudoku, or if you are a creative person maybe something like drawing, knitting, or writing. 

Alternatively, you might like exercise because it allows you to get you in tune with your body. I know that you mentioned that mindfulness isn't super helpful for you, but maybe something like yoga, which still allows you to move and feel your body. I know there are a bunch of yoga walkthrough videos on youtube which you could take a look at!

Highlighted

Thank you for your advice @Andrea-RO, I have tried doing puzzles before, but I find it hard to focus on when my mind starts to wander, I just end up aggravated. I might give yoga a go though, I tried to do it a few years ago but found it stressful since I had tried doing it with an instructor and was worried about stuffing up, but maybe I'll enjoy it more using a YouTube tutorial or app Smiley Happy