cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling completely overwhelmed

Hey guys, I’m just feeling so overwhelmed by everything right now.

I’ve got two assignments for uni - one reasonably small one due Wednesday next week, and one massive one due two weeks from this coming Friday. I have hit a complete block with both of them and have no idea what to do.

Things are beginning to really pile up/get stressful with my work too - I have two big projects coming up in July and I have barely started on either of them. I’m trying to start, but don’t know how. It’s so frustrating.

And being sick this week has just been the icing on the cake. I feel like a complete and utter failure, a useless waste of space and I don’t know how I’m going to make myself worthwhile again. I’m lying in bed feeling like I’m going to cry, and I really don’t know where to go from here.

Sorry guys, I just had to get this out. Smiley Sad

Re: Feeling completely overwhelmed

Hey @mrmusic, I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so overwhelmed. It can be really challenging to manage work and uni especially when deadlines come up. Have you dealt with this sort of pressure before?

The emotions you have listed sound like a really tough place to be. Being sick can be so frustrating when you have a lot going on. Have you engaged with any of your supports tonight? I know crying provides a release for you, but I was also wondering what self-care strategies have you been using?

@mrmusic sounds so stressful. I'm sorry all this is getting so overwhelming.

Do you have a plan on how you'll tackle it. Sometimes taking a break for a bit to self care can help and it can give you fresh eyes to tackle assignments and workload.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@TOM-RO I’ve dealt with this pressure a lot, most of the time not very well. I had to do an education subject as part of my undergrad, and one of the things we were taught was that a little bit of stress is good for motivation... that doesn’t ring true for me - I find that stress actually makes things harder to start.

I’ve been listening to music for most of the night so far, it’s helping a little bit. I don’t have many supports right now - all I have really is my psychiatrist and my next appointment is mid July. I’m getting ready to make an appointment with a psychologist and I was going to do that this week, but I couldn’t because I was sick.

This is something I feel I should be able to cope with though, so I’m not very happy that I can’t.

@mrmusic try not to be so hard on yourself. It's OK to not cope with stuff sometimes, your doing your best and that's ok, and I know what I'm like when I'm sick, everything sucks.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

You’re right @redhead, it’s just hard to believe sometimes.

I’m not doing anything tonight - just self care. If I’m well enough, I’ll be going to placement tomorrow, but if not (and that means just the slightest hint of being sick - I’m not going to turn up to an aged care facility if I’m anything less than 100%), I might be able to get some work done.

Self care sounds paramount mate well done Smiley Happy @mrmusic

@TOM-RO @redhead @Bree-RO I’m trying to focus on the here and now, but I’m still wondering how the heck I’m going to get through the next little while. This then raises all sorts of questions in my mind, such as whether I’m in the right degree/career path?

There’s not enough hours in the day, honestly.

It does sound like your life is going to be very busy in the next coming weeks @mrmusic! Deciding whether you are in the right degree/career path is so difficult.. so much so that I know there are people out there who are experts in this stuff! Does your uni have a career counselor?

In the meantime, what do you think might get you through the next little while? I personally break things down into small little tasks, so I don't get overwhelmed Smiley Happy

@TOM-RO That’s what I’m trying to do as well, break things up into small tasks. It just seems like a mountain tonight though. Smiley Sad Everything just seems to be getting to me lately, probably more than it normally would.