cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Struggling with symptoms of OCD

For the past few months, I have been getting signs that I have OCD, such as repetitions of words and actions, and thinking things such as, “if I don’t touch the light switch 28 times then I’ll fail my exams”. It’s making me so stressed, but I haven’t told anybody yet because I’m afraid that they’ll think that I’m just being dramatic, or that they won’t believe me. I’ve been praying about it and it would be great if I could have some advice on how to handle it?

Highlighted

Re: Struggling with symptoms of OCD

Hi @jasmine_8 

Welcome to the forums! It sounds like you've been experiencing some uncomfortable symptoms, and I can understand why they're getting to you. We believe you and don't think you're being dramatic, and I'd be surprised if the people around you thought otherwise. OCD (if that is what you have) can be treated in multiple ways through medication or psychotherapy. Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy is meant to be an effective psychological treatment for OCD. I encourage you to speak to your doctor about it and ask for a referral to see a psychologist if you are concerned. Also, if you're at school or university, it might be an idea to get in contact with the school counselor.

What do you think about taking these steps?

Highlighted

@jasmine_8  I have severe OCD and what you describe sounds a lot like OCD but it is always best to consult a professional to be sure, in my experience these things tend to get worse the longer you leave them so i would encourage you to seek help sooner rather than later. OCD is super distressing and can become very time consuming hopefully you can get some help with these issues soon. 

Highlighted

@jasmine_8 that sounds really tough, I understand where you're coming from though, I experience similar thoughts sometimes and wonder if it is normal or just superstitious or if it's potentially OCD and the thought scares me. I definitely don't think you're being dramatic if it's causing you distress then it could be worthwhile to talk someone you trust about how you're feeling to a have a support network around you who can help you seek professional help if that's what you think you need.

Highlighted

Hey @jasmine_8 

Thanks for reaching out here! It sounds like you're quite distressed at this, and I can understand why. I can't diagnose you of course, since I'm not a professional, but I definitely recommend that you go and see a psychologist. 

Also, in regard to being worried about others' reactions, I get what you mean there too. There's still a stigma around mental health and some people might not understand just how hard it can be. I'm sure they will support you though! Please don't be afraid to ask others for help and comfort. I think you could just tell them that you need to have a serious chat and you were thinking a lot about how you would tell them. Ask them to be respectful and that you're unsure about it yet, but it's something that's causing you a great deal of stress. I'm sure they'll comfort you and help you get some more professional assistance.

I'm sending you all my love and support! Let me know how it goes Heart

Highlighted

Hi @jasmine_8  !

HeyFriend.gif

I hope you are doing well friend, thank you for reaching out.

I personally don't have much experience with OCD but I just wanted to show my support for you and give you some encouragement. I'm not sure if you are religious or not, but you mentioning prayer is really good in my opinion, and as a Christian, it finds that it definitely helps. Also, try your best to not stress over others as they might not understand, instead, I suggest talking to an adult, teacher, or therapist or counselor if your school offers them.

Hopefully, you are okay, and I know that you will get through this!

Good luck Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Hey @jasmine_8, sorry to hear about what's been going on with you lately! Smiley Sad I understand how frustrating OCD can be as i have also struggled with symptoms in the past (e.g., not being able to turn the tap off when brushing my teeth because it didn't feel right lmao).
It's hard because OCD can be such a mental battle and you think people wont be able to relate, but from my experience those closest to us genuinely just want to be supportive. Even if at first they don't understand, you can help them to just by describing what's been happening and they will happily try to help.
Also, is there anything that you can think of that might be triggering the OCD? You mention failing exams, do you think your OCD symptoms could be related to exam stress? Lots of people handle stress differently and this might just be your way of doing so, and there's nothing wrong with that! Perhaps in order to deal with the stress you could try some self-care activities such as exercising, yoga or even painting. Just set some time aside to focus on yourself! Smiley Happy
I hope you find this helpful, feel free to keep us updated!
Highlighted

hey jasmine_8 , this can be a really troubling time and I know it can be stressful but if I may give you some tips I would recommend definitely talking to someone you trust and if they can help you that's great, if they don't help you then I would recommend keep trying with other people you trust eventually there will be a way to get some help. stay strong there is always a way. 

Highlighted

Hey @jasmine_8 it's been a few days and just wanted to make sure you're okay. How are you feeling today? Have you found/tried any strategies that have helped you?