cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

disclosing very uncomfortable information

hi im new to the forum but im hoping someone can help me

so ive got some really uncomfortable information that i shoudl share esp with my psychologist but i can never seem to get it out

i know it would help if i told them but i just cant seem to let it out

does anyone have any suggestions?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

Re: disclosing very uncomfortable information

Hi @scared01 welcome to the forums!

A lot of people have experience in the area of disclosing personal stuff to Psychs and Counsellors, so well done on jumping onto RO Smiley Happy I am sure you'll gain some great insight from your peers here.

First Question  - How long have you been seeing this Psych?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Highlighted

@DruidChild @Autumn23 Any words of wisdom Smiley Happy ?

Highlighted

hi @Bree-RO 

ive only seen my psych twice. she seems nice and knows what shes talking about but im still not sure....

Highlighted

Hey @scared01 I've had a similar experience with disclosing stuff to psychs and I understand how it can be a super scary prospect.

I'm glad that your psych seems nice. Something to think about is that there are various ways to communicate things. When I'm afraid of telling my friends something, for example, I might write them a note or letter, rather than verbalising what I want to say. Do you think that's something you might find helpful?

// Spiral outward, keep going. //
Highlighted

wont that just mean that im not strong enough to tell them myself and ill be judged on it?

im too scared to even write it incase someone finds the paper

Highlighted

Definitely not @scared01.It takes so much courage to ask for help like you have and to write it out sounds like a great idea.
That way you know what you want to tell them and you don't have to worry about saying it to them.
And you definitely won't be judged for writing a letter, lots of people do it and it can be very useful.

Perhaps you could write it just before your next appointment and keep it with you so no one finds it?

Highlighted

Hi @scared01, welcome to ReachOut Smiley Happy 

I've been in similar situations with health professionals before, and it's really scary, isn't it? One thing that I found helpful to remember is that psychologists and the like are usually very non-judgemental. Most psychologists and counsellors etc are literally trained to be non-judgemental and to listen to what you have to say and your concerns; plus, they've seen and heard a lot so we're unlikely to shock them! 

I found it really helpful to have a good relationship with my counsellor before I addressed the scary stuff with her. I built up to it by talking about less scary intrusive thoughts that I had, and eventually we got to the really 'bad' ones and she helped me with disclosing it by asking questions.  

If talking isn't an option though, how would you feel about writing a letter or an email? 

Sending you hugs. 

Highlighted

hi @Alison5

maybe i could try that and if i still dont feel comfortable then ill still jsut keep it with me maybe for the next appointment..?

Highlighted

yeah @DruidChild its really terrifying.

yeah im thinking i might have a few more sessions first then maybe disclose soem of the worse things. i like that idea!