Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

BerdNurd
Super frequent scribe

Inpatient Psychiatric Care

Hello all! It’s been a while since I’ve logged on and checked in with you all, I hope you’re doing well and taking care of yourselves.

I’ve decided to start a thread for updates on my time in inpatient care. As per the guidelines, I of course won’t be discussing/mentioning:

• Medication names or specifics
  • Mentions of therapy discussions, just general topics and overviews
  • The details of my program or stay
  • Where I am/the hospital I’m staying in
  • Other people, staff or patients in specifics — this thread will only focus on me, my time here and my feelings

(If you’re a mod and have anything else you’d like me to keep in mind, please let me know! I really want to adhere to our guidelines, protect myself and others 🙂 ) I will try and keep my posts void of triggers, but if I do need to mention something like that, I will hide it under a ‘spoiler’ and start the post off with a bolded “TW!

🌟Days 1 & 2 

I arrived at the hospital yesterday around noon and got checked in within an hour or so. Because there weren’t any beds in my program’s ward, I was staying in a different ward for the first night, but it was really lovely. I had a double room with another patient also in my program, it had a sliding door to the outdoor area and lots of storage for my things. The rest of the day was spent getting used to the hospital as this is my first time here, as well as going through a lot of paperwork and check ins. I spoke with a nurse and my psychiatrist separately about what I’m looking to get out of my stay and how I can best get the skills I need in the appropriate therapies and groups. My psychiatrist also decided to take me off my medication and put me on a new one, so today (day 2) I’m currently feeling some heavy fatigue and nausea due to being tapered off. Tomorrow I start my new medication, which I’m hopeful for, even though it’ll be my 5th antidepressant (lol).

Today (day 2) I got to start my therapies, I did a range of things and spent the day busy. Some sessions were harder than others, but I got some good perspective on some of the issues I’m facing with my emotions. Listening to other people who are also around my age(ish) and feeling similarly has been quite comfortable, it makes me feel less like I’m irrational and that my emotions/experiences aren’t normal. Im looking forward to tomorrow, but I suspect that starting my new medication will cause a lot of nausea, dizziness and fatigue. 

I will update the thread later this week! 😊 

Who rated this post