cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SLOW-MO GR: Building Rapport with Professionals, 12th-18th August

Awww, thanks everyone for being so lovely. Heart

Here's today's question! Smiley Very Happy

3. Do you have any advice on how to communicate with your psychologist/get your point across?
ezgif-1-590ffb539530.gif

3. Do you have any advice on how to communicate with your psychologist/get your point across?
- Be honest.
- You can write down the points that you want to make beforehand and bring it in to the session with you.
- Reflecting on your events, thoughts and emotions in a journal can be really helpful for describing them to your psychologist later on.
- If they go on a tangent about a topic that you're not interested in, you can say, 'That's fine but my main concern is...'
- Ask if you can set some goals for the therapy and explain what you want to get out of it.
- If you don't feel as though something will help, let them know.
- Tell them the other treatments and strategies you have done before and whether they have helped you or not.
- This article is useful for communicating when your therapist has upset or offended you.
- Use 'I' statements to talk about your feelings or if something isn't working.
- If you feel that you're not happy with your psychologist, you can ask for them to refer you to someone else or another service. You have the right to do so.
- Ask the psychologist how you will know how you are progressing. Ask them to provide you with a way to measure your progress.

Highlighted

Wow @WheresMySquishy , those are so many good answers!! I'm not sure I have much to add because I think that such a good list Smiley Happy

I guess from my own experience I would add that you aren't 'being difficult' or hurting anyone's feeling if you say something isn't working for you. I think I would feel a bit guilty to tell my psychologist that I thought something was wrong for me because she was very nice. That is silly though (and I know I've made the comparison before) but you wouldn't feel guilty to tell a GP the medicine they prescribe isn't right for you.

In my case the psychologist was very supportive when I finally expressed this and if they aren't, then they probably aren't the right psychologist for you (like we discussed yesterday!)

@Tasi  I think that's so true. I get a bit nervous telling professionals that treatment hasn't worked because I feel that I'm disappointing them or that they won't believe me. It helps me to remember that a lot of treatments are just trial and error and the professional is there to help me. Professionals are supposed to work with you to find a treatment that is right for you.

I'm glad your psychologist was supportive! Smiley Happy

Thanks @WheresMySquishy  Smiley Happy At first I wasn't sure if I should mention my good psychologist experience as I didn't want to appear braggy or to make those who hadn't had good experiences feel bad. However, I thought about it and thought it may be good to so that the discussion was balanced and just so those who are thinking about seeing someone can read about all kinds of experiences.

@Tasi as one of the people who've had a few bad experiences, it's actually really helpful reading about other people's good ones.

It encourages me to keep trying, plus helps me get a better idea of what a good psychologist actually looks like.

@Tiny_leaf oh I am so glad about that!

I am sorry to hear about your bad experiences but likewise I think you and everyone else who are sharing these experiences will help people in the future and validate others when they are questioning whether what they experience is normal 

Sorry everyone, I'm late to the party but have been loving looking through all your responses! What a great GR!

What qualities do you think a psychologist should have?
- Empathetic: even if they don't know what you're going through, they can understand how you're feeling and show that through their words and their body language.

- Kind: I don't really resonate with psychologists who project a cold or detached energy. I really need someone who has a gentle energy so I feel safe to share what's really going on.

- A sense of humour: sometimes things are kind of dark...but also kind of funny. It's good to be able to laugh in therapy, as long as your psychologist still helps you deal with your problems rather than glossing over them with humour

- Ethical: doesn't cross ethical boundaries like starting a sexual or personal relationship with you. Doesn't break confidentiality when they aren't required to. Makes sure you give informed consent and clearly explains things like costing, therapeutic practices, scheduling, limits of confidentiality etc.

- Professional: This means punctual, not on their phone or emails during appointments, and that they're not rude or disrespectful towards you or others (including other psychologists or professionals you've seen before). 

Have you seen a psychologist before? If so, do you have any advice to those who are seeing a psychologist for the first time?
Yes. Make sure you "click" with the psychologist and their methods. If they seem cold, rude or judgemental, don't make another appointment. Ask for a referral to someone else (politely) or do your own research.
I found my psychologist through Find A Psychologist. Be sceptical of anyone promising overnight results or "fantastic claims". A good psychologist will manage your expectations and set goals with you, not promise miracle cures or try to sell you vitamins, or other services that they just happen to profit from.

I specifically chose my psychologist because I worked out from the first session how well she listened and how she knew so much about my life. Sometimes psychs are human and forget things, or don't quite listen actively enough, though. 

I often write notes of what I want to say to help me sort out my thoughts before going into my session. If my psychologist is brushing over something or doesn't quite get it I usually rephrase what I want to say. Similarly, if they're focusing on something I'm not actually that fussed about, I try to see what I can get out of that discussion. If it's truly something I don't think is important I usually just say "What I'm actually concerned about here is...." or something to that degree. I'm not afraid to be direct and to the point, because at the end of the day I'm there for me. Also my psych tells me to NEVER feel worried about crying or being upset in-session, because she's literally there to listen to me and help me work out my problems. So keep that in mind if you feel silly about showing your emotions,  you're safe!

Loving the discussion so far guys! Will be back on later to have a proper read through Heart
Until then, here's the Wednesday questions! Smiley Very Happy

Have you ever switched psychologists? How did the process go for you?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live Getting Real chat to do with Self-positivity, on Monday the 21st of October! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart

Loving all your responses to the questions so far guys! I'm also enjoying reading the discussion you guys have on psychologist rapport Smiley Happy.

I've decided to create a wordcloud based on your answers to question 1 on what qualities you think a psychologist should have:

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 4.57.03 pm.png

It seems "nonjudgmental" and "respect" are the most popular qualities! What do you guys think of this? 

@ecla34 @MisoBear @Tasi @Tiny_leaf @WheresMySquishy @lokifish @Hozzles @hellofriend