Re: Books!

@lokifish Yes, A Thousand Splendid Suns

Highlighted

@hunginc Nice! I really enjoyed that one too Smiley Happy

@lokifish wrote:

think I figured out who the murderer is about halfway through

So it turns out I was totally wrong! Smiley Surprised such a suspenseful book.

I'm about to start one of her other books - Truly Madly Guilty Smiley Happy

Truly Madly Guilty ended up being a pretty good read as well Smiley Happy

I've now nearly finished Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton. Has anyone else read it? It's quickly become a bit of an Aussie classic!

Can anyone recommend one of the 'classics' that is actually good?  I mean everyone has differing opinions and tastes and I don't mean to insult classic enthusiasts, but I feel like a lot of classics I have read are quite mundane. 

Does anyone recommend a 'classic' that you really like?

Highlighted

@indieinsanus haha more than fair, some classics can be a bit dry to say the least Smiley Tongue i have some favs that took me foreveeerrr to read because they dragged so much in some places Smiley LOL

you might have already read some of these, but a few ones i've really enjoyed are:

pride and prejudice - so funny Smiley Happy 

dracula - super cool narrative structure, it's kind of like a collection of diary entries, transcripts, and newspaper clippings -plus vampires!

frankenstein - different from the movie adaptations but still awesome, it's kind of like a story within a story within a story etc. at times, but it gets back to things eventually i swear! Smiley LOL

i'm pretty sure all 3 books are available as free (and legal!) pdfs on the Project Gutenberg website if you're interested in checking them out Smiley Very Happy 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We had a live chat on Accessing Mental Health Support Online! Smiley Very Happy Check it out here! Heart
Highlighted

@ecla34 Thank you for the recommendations. I actually bought pride and prejudice a few months back, but I didn't get past about ten pages because I thought it was kind of boring. However, I am determined to read it at some point, so I'll have to start soon. 

Highlighted

@indieinsanusI often find the same issue with classics... though my favourites are probably the original Adventures of Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!

I've been reading Flights of Fancy by Peter Tate, an ornithologist. It's a short little book covering old myths and legends associated with different types of birds. Quite interesting for a bird lover such as myself! Smiley Very Happy

Started reading The Planets by Andrew Cohen and Brian Cox. I'm loving it! So many interesting space facts - I never knew that Mercury has a highly elliptical orbit, or that the Curiosity rover on Mars is 5x heavier than the previous rovers 💫🚀🛰

@lokifish that sounds like such an interesting book, and thanks for sharing those space facts so that now we know them, too Smiley Very Happy

I've been reading Rising Strong by Brene Brown - it's a nonfiction book about how to cope when you're going through tough times and difficult emotions. Apparently she also has a really popular Ted talk on the issue too.