I spend my Sundays unwinding and spending hours reading books. Share your favourite books here!
The last book I read: 12 Years A Slave- Solomon Northup
- Page turner! Very graphic, couldn't bring myself to watch the movie :3
The book I am currently reading: Love Without Limits- Nick Vujicic
- Very inspirational!
Books I want to read next: The Alchemist-Paulo Coelho
- Apparently a good read, can't wait to start it
What are your favourite books? Share your recomendations here
sometimes it rains, sometimes it shines, this is how flowers grow
YES @jvkn !!
This thread is so necessary!!! I watched 12 years a slave and it was incredible, you should watch it. I'm definitely gonna read it now.
Here's some of my favs:
- Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
- We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
- Love's Executioner by Irvin D. Yalom
- The Examined Life by Stephen Grosz
@benjamin_ I love Murakami! I have a few of his works on my shelf.
At the moment I'm reading up on my home country's historical and cultural heritage, but apart from that here are my recommendations:
- Anything by bell hooks if you want to learn to love yourself as you are
- Hotel Sarajevo by Jack Kersh: an emotional read with a sad ending, but the characters were so lifelike and the story was lovely
- The Meaning of Things by A.C. Grayling: it has a lot of short passages on various aspects of life, from education to capitalism to even death, discussed through a philosophical lens
- Anything by Terry Pratchett if you like reading stories that are subtle allegories of real life
how good is Murakami @safari93 ? I loved Norwegian Wood & Colorless Tsukuri Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. Recently started The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle too.
I actually never read that much growing up apart from when i was a kid, but recently i've been really getting into and venturing beyond the psychology stuff I read.
If you are studying or into psychology though, you gotta check out Love's Executioner or The Gift of Therapy by Irvin D. Yalom! The guy is my hero, he hides nothing about his experiences and thoughts in therapy sessions and has a beautiful way of describing the relationship between patient and therapist. He actually rejects the idea of "patient" and "therapist" and describes it more like two individuals facing the same existential concerns, embarking on a journey to unravel and work through them together.
Btw I just googled Hotel Sarajevo. Sounds amazing, think I might give it a shot.
THIS IS DEFINITELY GOING TO BECOME MY NEW FAVOURITE THREAD!
The last book I read: We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves - AMAZING read
The book I am currently reading: The Listener by Shira Nayman - a random second hand book I picked up a few weeks back - an interesting read.
Books I want to read next: Dark Places - Gillian Flynn
The last book I read: Lost & Found by Brooke Davis
- highly recommend - can give you a different perspective on love and life
The book I am currently reading: Invisibles by David Zweig
- really interesting - explores how we can gain satisfaction from our jobs even in the absence of external rewards like money or recognition
Book I want to read next: Still Alice by Lisa Genova
I only ever seem to read when I'm on holiday, because otherwise I just don't make the time for it... So I've got a few books backed up.
Last book I read - The Wise Man's Fear (2nd book in the Kingkiller Chronicles) - finished it a couple of days ago. It was a Xmas pressie from the parents.
Current book I'm reading - The Light Between Oceans - don't know anything about it and I'm about 2 chapters in. Mum said it was worth reading and made me borrow it.
Book I want to read next - The Cuckoo's Calling - again, mum said I should borrow it. So once I've read that one, I can return them all
@Student94 is Still Alice the book that the movie with Julianne Moore is based on? I saw it at a film festival and cried my eyes out
I just finished reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I love how to weaves different cultures together in her books.
Confession time, I'm also ready the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon. I'm a bit obssessed with the TV show...