cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Bushfires: How to cope

Curious...how is everyone finding the international response to how Australia's handling these bushfires? Like are we doing enough, doing the right thing... thinking about the global ramifications can be stressful too guys !

Highlighted

@Tay100 Thanks for raising such an important question for so many people at the moment. I just wanted to stop by to say that if the news about bushfires etc is getting upsetting for anyone, I'd really encourage you to head over to the Good news story thread to balance out all the news we're getting at the moment Heart 

Highlighted

Great idea!
Highlighted

Hi there ReachOut Community, 

ReachOut has published two articles yesterday around coping with the stress of natural disasters. If you want to learn some tips from young people who have been there before, I would highly recommend this article How to deal with the stress of bushfires, floods, earthquakes and cyclones Heart

Here is one quote from the article that I really loved because it demonstrates the power of community connection during the hardest of times:

"‘My friends and I have learned that by being honest about our feelings, we can feel less alone. We have been making sure to check in with each other, as well as finding small ways to help, like fundraising or donating. With my friends' help, I feel a lot more hopeful and certain that we will get through this together.’ – Emily, 23."

We also have this article for parents too, which may help families understand how they can help.

Sending our love to the communities impacted this week- our thoughts are with you and your families Heart 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Thanks so much Jess! These articles are really informative and deeply resonating given it includes real voices and insight, a must with stressful situations like these!

Highlighted

As a sufferer of terrible air pollution due to fire, thanks for all of your posts. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Natural disasters are environmental phenomena which cause massive devastation to the communities in its proximity. As someone living near an affected zone, air quality has been extremely hazardous ("toxic" according to the NSW Government Air Quality Index). My first piece of advice to anyone in a similar scenario would be to immediately check the air quality in their neighbourhood, for example https://www.dpie.nsw.gov.au/air-quality/current-air-quality for NSW.

Secondly, definitely purchase a nose and mouth shield or industrial-grade mask, as it has been widely reported that the smoke inhalation and exposure to toxins can create long term lung damage, particularly for young children, the elderly, and those with existing respiratory and circulatory issues. If you're unable to afford the more expensive masks, most medical centres like MyHealth and pharmacies like Priceline offer a 50c fabric mask.

If you can foot a heftier bill, I'd recommend looking at masks at hardware stores.

Remember in this time of crisis, your health is your priority!!! Take care of yourself and your family, and wishing you all a safe and happy holiday period Smiley Happy     

Highlighted

Hi @ovvvvv, thanks for your informative and practical advice. It is important to be aware of any precautions that we can take, so it is amazing to see that mentioned here. Just so you know, I removed the specific links to masks to avoid it acting as an advertisement and changed it to be more generic. No big deal Heart
Highlighted

Hey! Do you know of any places that sell those kinds of masks in other states? Having trouble finding them outside of NSW...
Highlighted

Hi there! As I mentioned, most medical centres and pharmacies do stock the cheaper options which usually are about 50c to a few dollars. For more expensive options, Bunnings Warehouse has numerous options which are fantastic. I’d recommend looking out for masks used by painters or asbestos removalists as those will provide optimum protection!