cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Climate Change Anxiety: How to cope

@mspaceK @I_am_not_Groot love the ideas of composting and growing your own veggie garden! I'm in the same situation where I live in a small apartment and although I do love plants I don't think we have enough for the amount of compost we would make with our food scraps. However, when I do one day move into my own house I would love to grow all my fresh veggies and start composting! 

Also think it is important to take one thing at a time though as every bit helps! I heard a quote that I absolutely love that I think applies well in this context... "We don't need a handful of people doing zero waste perfectly, we need millions of people doing it imperfectly". 

I think just by being aware of the waste we create and the effects of climate change is important. The little things we do add up and its so exciting to see such a positive impact on this thread that everyone is creating! 

@lr8991 That's very true! Everyone needs to be putting in a little effort to invest in the bigger cause of climate change.

For some reason, I can imagine that there's too much compost for your plants at home and you're going outside to try to fertilise other people's and the council's plants Smiley LOL cause that's literally what I'd do. 

That's such a good idea! All my friends in this city live in student accomodation as we are all university students so I don't know anyone I can give my compost to, but I will look in to see if the council or someone would be interested in taking my compost!

@lr8991  Great idea! A  lot of suburbs have community gardens - I used to donate all of our food waste to a compost bin at a nearby community garden, until we got our own compost bin. Smiley Happy 

If you're not using the compost for your plants, it's still a great idea to decompose your own food waste! You could use a worm farm too. The worms love to eat your left overs! 

Well, last nights Australian federal election is done and we have a winner. I am on here asking for guidance as I am feeling emotions of shock, confusion and utter sadness. This was meant to be the climate election. I honestly believed that if we were to get change ever, it would be this election. Instead of having a party who wanted to aim to reach 50% renewable energy by 2030, our country is still run by politicians who do not wish make any major change as they believe it will 'ruin the economy' (or some don't even believe in it). If climate change couldn't control this election, then I am slowly losing hope for Australian's future and I am now more scared than I was yesterday for my future and my children's future. We have just 12 years left until climate change is irreversible. Why do politicians not care about this?

Am I the only one feeling upset after last night? Where do we go from here? I did not expect to feel so overwhelmed by this but I am struggling to come to terms with this and I don't know what to do. I already do so much on my own part and I have this overwhelming feeling that its not enough and I just need to do more.

Highlighted

@lr8991 I feel the same way.. 

And I mean... climate change is already affecting the economy. I'm not sure what they're scared of losing that wouldn't be lost anyway..

I don't have a huge amount of advice unfortunately, but @blobby made a thread on pretty much the same thing here.

It might be a good place to find support as well as on this thread.

@Tiny_leaf I think that was @Eden1717 haha

i think that climate change is a serious issue that affects the worlds ecological sustainability, and its affecting all aspects

of biomes, ecosystems and biodiversity. We are running out of additional resource that we need, but by using additional resources more climate change is added. 

I have a geography exam tomorrow on climate change and how it affects things or otherwise I would have no idea what I am talking about lol

@blobby oops.. I don't even know how I made that mistake, but for some reason I was sure it was your thread..  I thought I even checked before I posted...

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out!! I'm going to go get some water now and hope my brain turns itself back on.....

I recently watched a great documentary called 2040 - which talks about the solutions to the climate crisis, and encourages positive action for a better future. 

it's much more hopeful and uplifting than most docos I've seen on the matter - and thus a really good one to watch for those of us that are worrying a lot about this issue - its been good for my own mental wellbeing!

Check out their website here - it has heaps of practical ideas of things you can do for a better future!  

@gina-RO  I LOVED this documentary! One of the best docos on climate change I've seen. It really helps demonstrate how simple and easy it can be for individuals to make changes to help the planet! A lot of other documentaries focus a lot on negative aspects but this documentary was positive yet informative. I also love that it was made by an Australian. Smiley Happy 

Recommend this documentary to anyone who like me can feel uneasy over the thought of climate change or to anyone who simply wants to become more informed on little ways you can help! 

As i've mentioned previously on this thread, I am constantly working on ways I can help reduce my environmental impact and can happily say that I no longer eat red meat. By no means am I saying this is the only way to help but I just love hearing all the little things everyone does to help contribute, whether that be ensuring they recycle when they can or simply picking up some rubbish on the ground when they see it Smiley Happy