cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Self Harm and psychologist having to tell someone?

Thanks so much @DruidChild for all your help, I think I might just have to wait, I really dont know how to talk about this

Fair enough @Charliex, taking time to think things over is sometimes the best strategy. We're here if you feel like talking more about this or anything else that's happening for you Smiley Happy

Hey @Charliex, perhaps you could do a sort of draft on the threads here (like in general so as not to breach the guidelines) and we could help you out?

Have any of you brought something like this up with someone? I just feel like the worst person and so guilty for doing such a thing and really thought i would be better/over it by now and its just not happening and I just dont know what to do? I'm very sorry i am writing on here, I just feel very stuck and everyone keeps telling me to just hang in there and it will be better soon, I'm just not seeing anything going anywhere as it just keeps getting worse when it should be getting better and I'm just hopeless about being open about anything / being able to communicate what I'm actually feeling when speaking so I think people think its getting better but its not and I just dont know how to say that so they can help and just pretend everything is fine, i just dont want to let anyone down when they're helping me and I'm just not doing great? I dont know, sorry for all of this, I am such a pain but it helps to straighten things out by writing them down

Hey @Charliex firstly, please dont ever feel guilty about reaching out for help, thats what RO is built for!  

What you're going through sounds really tough. I hear that you're trying reall hard but things arent really getting better for you. Do you think it would help to chat to a professional on the phone or face to face - it might really help to be able to get to your most honest feelings about how you're doing while taking away some of that pressure to not let people down? Let me know what you think! You're doing an amazing job being so strong, and please do keep updating us on how you're doing! 

@Charliex You don't need to feel guilty for self harming, it's something a lot of us here struggle with. It's not anything to be ashamed of - it just shows that you're going through a lot of pain right now and you need help finding healthy ways to look after yourself while things are so tough. And you are more than welcome to talk as much a single you want on RO Smiley Happy

I have had to bring self harm up with like five different health professionals at this point. It never gets easier, but I've found that mental health professionals (especially psychologists or counsellors) will listen, however long it takes you to talk. They also will not judge you for anything you say to them - listening without judgement is actually one of the basic rules of some types of therapy. And you're not letting anyone down by not being okay - it can be really hard to get better without the right help and support. It's their job to help you, whether you're doing well or not so well. 

If you find writing easier, would it help to write down what you want to say and give it to your counsellor, or could you show them your posts here? One ways that you start a conversation about this could be simply, "Sometimes when I feel really low, I hurt myself to feel better. I want this to stop, but I don't know how." Or something similar. It may help to 'script' exactly what you're going to say before you go in. 

Thanks for your reply guys, I probably just need to get it over and done with but easier said than done I suppose. I think writing something down as a backup may be a good idea incase I cant say get up the courage to say anything. thanks for all your tips

Good luck @Charliex! You can do it Smiley Happy

hey @Charliex! I definitely think having something written down as a back up would be a good idea. Good luck! Let us know how you go! Smiley Happy

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Hey guys, still haven't been able to and it's becoming more of a problem and I don't know what to do :'( I should write it down but I don't know if I like to put big things in writing, anyone have any other tips at all? I just don't know what to do Smiley Sad