cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't we ever talk about racism

Why is it always brushed under the carpet we talk about everything else here but never anything about different cultures or racism and when I try to start the conversation nobody cares 

Being made to feel like a criminal in the supermarket when you did nothing just because of your skin colour and stuff like actually is importsnt and hurts too you know 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Re: Why don't we ever talk about racism

You're right that we don't talk about it enough @j95. For me personally, it's easy not to think about racism when it doesn't apply to me, and I'm definitely guilty of that. How do you think we could have more/better conversations around this issue? Because it definitely effects a lot of people Smiley Sad

I definitely agree @j95 we should talk about it way more! I'm sorry that you've experienced that at the shopping centre and that you feel like no one cares when you try to start the conversation about it here Smiley Sad Do you think we should have a GR session about culture/experiencing racism?

I think we should @May definitely
@roseisnotaplant sometimes people don't realise what they are saying or doing is racist and hurts

@Bree-RO hey I'm in a better space tonight to talk about this if you're still interested 

Yeah definitely interested. @j95 What are some things people of different ethnicity's go through you think that some of us may not be aware of? You mentioned the shops Smiley Sad That's not cool.

@Bree-RO once i got accused of being a thief in my local supermarket when I did nothing and they embarassed me in front of all the other customers.
Also once when I was picking my brother up from work I was talking to a security guard who said they have a big problem with aboriginal kids and that the "ferals" keep stealing now everytime he sees anyone aboriginal he calls the police, that's probably why he was standing so close to me. @Bree-RO
People look at you up and down like you did something wrong.
Or there was an incident on a tram last year where these kids asked me "what language I was" and I said I was Australian and they said "no you aren't go back to your country" and they spat on me and put orange peel down my top and stole my iPad

Wow @j95 that sounds so incredibly traumatising. How hurtful. What are you most proud of about your heritage?

I think I'm most proud of our resilience and how although we had a hurtful history we are still all proud of our culture and fight to make sure it is still celebrated and recognised @Bree-RO and the connection to the land

Oh so amazing mate @j95 And some exceptional artist's. I did a talk once on this woman Smiley Happy She is cool & very intelligent. Do you have any favourite indigenous artists?