Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Main content skiplink

Who rated this post

Janine-RO
Star contributor

heal-country-theme_0.jpg

This week is NAIDOC week - this year's theme is Heal Country. 

naidoc-logo-300.png

The following words come from the official website- as a non-indigenous person, I aim to amplify and hero indigenous voices wherever possible. 

We're also  looking forward to hearing from @Saltwaterdreamtime later this week,   and any other indigenous folk who want to join in - this is your space. 

So- the following words are from the Naidoc Week webpage:

naidoc-2021-poster.jpg

NAIDOC Week celebrations are held across Australia each July to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. NAIDOC is celebrated not only in Indigenous communities, but by Australians from all walks of life. The week is a great opportunity to participate in a range of activities and to support your local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.

This year's theme is Heal Country: and how you decide to make that come to life is up to you. 

This page has some great ideas for holding a NAIDOC week event, whether you're indigenous or non- indigenous

NAIDOC_2017_19042006.jpg

There's also some amazing free webinars that you can check out here:

They have the following webinars running during NAIDOC week:
5 July 6:00-7:30 pm | Custodians of Country
6 July 6:00-7:30 pm  | Healing our Waterways
7 July, 6:00-7:30 pm | Healing our Lands
9 July, 6:00-7:30 pm  | Pursuing Global Justice

And I've been loving reading more about the history and culture of my local area - I love hiking, and where I live has a rich indigenous history, which I'm loving being able to learn more about. I found this video about Northern Sydney here, there's so much to learn about the history of your local area, wherever you are in Australia. 

If this resonates with you, it could be a great way to celebrate NAIDOC in lockdown - especially if you can head to an uncrowded area near you 🙂 

Your local council can be a  cool place to start, most of them will have heaps of free info about the history and culture of the land where you live- I have been lucky enough to see a lot of middens, rock carvings, and sacred sites on bushwalks less than 15 minutes from where I live. 

aboriginal-heritage_1140x570.jpg

Some pages I find super informative are Blak Business, the NAIDOC  page, and if you like a spot of retail therapy, this is a list of brands you can buy from to support indigenous artists and indigenous owned and run businesses. 

Clothing The Gaps have some great clothes, stickers, bags- and I really like how they suggest what stuff is good for allies - I know that I've sometimes wondered that, and I've picked up some great facemasks from these guys

Another thing I saw today that I thought was cool was a weather report using the traditional names for the capital cities:

naidocweek.jpg

How will you celebrate NAIDOC week? We'd love to hear from you in the comments, and please share any links, music, resources too!

Check out our community activities calendar here
Who rated this post