cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who do you look up to and why?

I think it is important to have a role model, someone who sets a good example and whose footsteps you'd like to follow. It doesn't matter if they a friend or family member or just someone you know, or even a famous person! 

So who do you guys look up to? Why?

I'll start:

I look up to my sister because she is strong and independent, and taught me how to stand up for myself. 

Go! Smiley Happy

Re: Who do you look up to and why?

I find this really tough to answer!

Right now I might say Keanu Reeves. Not because of his movies (I only like some of them), or even his lifestyle (he doesn't use social media but I could never do that), but his attitude towards the world is pretty outstanding. He did an AMA on Reddit today and his answers demonstrated a lot of insight into how the world works and how best to approach it.

Who do others look up to?

I'd say my older sister, as well. She's played a huge role in helping me become the person I am. She'd never admit it, but she's incredibly humble, generous and kind - which are all the things I strive to be.

I also have one friend in particular that I really look up to. She's faced SO much and at times it has seemed like the world is completely out to get her, but she takes it all in her stride and still finds it in herself to be grateful for everything she has.

It's funny you started this thread because after seeing this picture on my Facebook news feed, I was going to start something similar Smiley Happy

If anyone reading this doesn't know who Malala is, read this speech she gave at the UN. She's SIXTEEN which just makes her all the more amazing.

Apart from her, I'd have to say I look up to my best friend. She understands me better than anyone (sometimes even better than myself) and is the most incredible person I know. Smiley Happy

I look up to my heroes of the Marvel and DC universes. Also Transformers. I also look up and love the villians in both respective universes.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

I have a few people.

The main ones would be Nick Vujicic and Elijah Kihlstadius. They are both just so amazing and inspirational. But music is also a huge thing in my life, so bands like Paramore and Tonight Alive. They've gotten me through tough times, so naturally I just look up to them.

I look up to this girl who was in year 12 (she has left now) but she was always winning academic awards and with science and maths mainly. If you saw her from a distance you would think she was a guy because she has short hair and all but what makes her an awesome person from me she always acted how she wanted and did what she wanted.

Hey Gabi, 

I'd say that I look up to Aung San Suu Kyi. Pretty standard answer, I know. But being under house arrest for 15 years to stand by her people, her country and to stand up for democracy is awe-inspiring. It's also hardcore that during that time, she couldn't see her family and that the world was quickly changing as time went on. But she was loyal to her people to the very end. 

Great idea for a thread, love it! Smiley Happy

I look up to the the teacher who became my mentor the last 18 months. Although her main role was helping me with work and making sure I was on track, somehow I always felt so much better after talking to her. I really inspire to be someone like her. She has a really positive outlook on life and always see in the best of everyone!

I used to look up to my honorary aunt too! Now I look up to her memory. But she was a very giving person, if she would help anyone and everyone she could, however big or small. And I guess as a true testament of her achievements, her funeral said enough. The amount of people there was astounding, I never really had a concept of how giving and caring she really was until then! She even had a guard of honer from Country Hope! Smiley Happy

And if I'm truly honest, there are a couple mods here that I kinda look up to. Over the last 2 and a half years they have been a key role in me finding alternate ways to cope. Without knowing, at times, giving me the strength to fight through a troubling thought or time.

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Heart MY MUM Heart

She has beaten cancer 5 times (4 melanomas and breast cancer) and is in remission for the first time in almost 25 years! (Since it takes 5 years cancer free to be declared 'in remission' and she kept getting to almost 5 years and then being diagnosed with a different cancer.) She is amazing Smiley Happy