cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Everything in my life has turned to shit

Everything I have ever worked for!!! My business, my house, my car, EVERYTHING, it’s GONE!!! There is no more work, this is no more money. It’s over! 
We soon will not have money for my partner and I to feed our child or pay our rent.

Highlighted

Re: Everything in my life has turned to shit

@Saltwaterdreamtime  That's so awful. I really feel for you and your family right now. Smiley Sad
The whole situation with the economy right now is so horrible. You're definitely not alone. I think that most people are struggling at the moment.

Would having a chat with Centrelink or another similar agency help? I also found information on news sites about what to do if you've lost your job and advice from other people in my city on Reddit to be helpful.

Highlighted

@WheresMySquishy
Yeah, except we won’t get a payment until April, and that will go towards recovering costs associated with closing my work as I have to do them before anything else happens so it will not go towards life’s essentials unfortunately.
We are staying home as much as we can but I’m also angry seeing our town become infested with visitors today for the school holidays, mostly all in their own holiday homes or air bnb as caravan park has closed but still very frustrating, so many cases in Melbourne and they are just bringing to our small under resourced town already, there definitely won’t be enough food or supplies when they raid our shops making us all unwell in the process

Highlighted

@Saltwaterdreamtime  It's really messed up that you won't get any payments until April. It must be so stressful not being able to have money to cover the basic necessities. Smiley Sad
I've heard that some landlords are waiving rent. How would you feel about investigating this further? Do you think it would help if you explained the situation to someone?
If that doesn't work, do you have someone else that you can stay with?

I wish that the government would do more to shut down people going to the beach or on holiday during this time. It's really frustrating! I totally understand your anger.

The beach for a surf, or walk or maybe a swim at a distance but crowding the beach is NOT ON. If they close the beaches I don’t know what I will do because everything else in my life has been shut down. 
Even with the payments, I don’t know if I will even get them, nothing is certain right now. 

We live in a private rental and I’m fairly sure the owners are dead so if I just stopped paying rent they would either 1) come out of their cave and finally return my calls/emails and actually take notice of me

2) not notice 
3) We risk getting kicked out. 
Little too late to start moving in with family when rent becomes too hard, because my partners Mum has immunity problems and well I don’t really have any family apart from my mentors and it’s highly unlikely they will let us move in and also that’s pretty irresponsible of us because we may already have the illness and we have a kid too...

I’m so over all this 

Highlighted

Hey @Saltwaterdreamtime,

I'm really really sorry this is happening to you and your family. That's so unfair and must be devastating. And I know you worked so hard to get to that place of stability, and this pandemic isn't something anyone could've predicted.

It sounds like you're thinking this through really responsibly.

It's so frustrating the wait time with Centrelink when you have immediate costs, and the lack of certainty of you'll be able to receive payments anyway...

To me it sounds like you would be eligible, I mean if someone in your situation can't access it who can? I know it won't help you immediately, but it might be really helpful come April...

It also might interest you to know Coles is doing a recruitment drive. (I don't mean to be pushy and I don't know if that's helpful to you, it's just one of the few places I've heard that's expanding rather than shutting down).

Also, is borrowing money from someone (like your mentors or partners family) an option in the meantime for those immediate costs?

I really feel for you and I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Keep looking after yourself as best you can. Let us know if there's anything we can do

Highlighted

Hey @Saltwaterdreamtime!

It's nice to see you on the forums again Smiley Happy Though I am incredibly sorry to hear that you in such an incredibly difficult situation at the moment. I can understand how heartbroken, scared, and frustrated you must be feeling right now. The coronavirus epidemic has had really devastating effects on our community, and it has disproportionately affected those with small businesses. 

I can understand why you would be feeling anxious and confused about what's going to happen in the future. A lot of things seem unstable at the moment, and there's been a lot of conflicting information and advice coming from everywhere; including the government itself. I can't say that things will run smoothly, or that they will get easier in the immediate future, but I know you're an incredibly strong person and you have been through a lot. I am certain this strength and grit will help you in the time to come.

In terms of some practical things you can do, it might be helpful to call the Victorian Legal Aid helpline and VCAT. These services may be able to talk you through your rights and possible solutions for your housing situation. These are extraordinary events, and a lot of people are going through the same thing right now, so they may have advice that they have devised to help in the current events. It might also be a good idea to ask them on what to include in a letter that you can write to your landlord about the possibility of delaying the day your rent is due. Particularly because the stimulus package is being dropped in April, it might be worth negotiating with them that you pay your month's rent once you have been paid by the government.

Highlighted

The tourists that have just come on mass have now resulted in our beaches being shut so well done morons, for all those people doing the right thing at home these idiots have to run it and make staying home all just pointless 

Highlighted

Every time I call the landlord they don’t answer @Andrea-RO that’s part of why I actually think they’re dead
We can ask to borrow money but I guess I’m thinking many others are or soon will be in a similar situation and I don’t want to make it worse for them @hellofriend
We’re already living week to week as it is and go without many things just we just can afford essentials, this is going to make so much harder, to top it off I went to the supermarket tonight, prices have gone up on lots of things, also only the really expensive versions of things were available. I live with my partner and her child, who is still in nappies and I could only get the $30 pack tonight. $30!! That could feed me for a week.
This sucks.
It was nice to go out for a walk today though, we walked a long way.

Highlighted

Hey @Saltwaterdreamtime 

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through Smiley Sad. This whole situation is so stressful, and I can only try and imagine how much it is affecting you. I mean it is impacting all Australians, but some more than others, and everyone is in a different financial situation. If your business is closed for the moment, do you think it might be an idea to apply for a casual job at like a supermarket or as a courier (or any other service that is in demand at the moment), just to get you through? A go fund me page might also be an option? I know these options may not be ideal, and may not solve your issue right this moment, but at least it might help take some of the pressure off in the near future.

On a lighter note, I'm glad that you enjoyed your walk. How long was it? I love a nice, long walk - can be so therapeutic. I'm also glad to hear (or gather) that things with you and your partner are good.